The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Alpaca land
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,so we had the vet come out and look at our one rescue goat because for a while she's had this abscess in her mammary gland about the size of a child's football and the vet said it would cost $1,600 to cut off (wich we don't have) or buy pain pills for her to mix with her grain for the rest of her life and she's only like 2 or 3 years old. So would it really be worth it to cut it off or should she just be put down?

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Is she in pain? Can you get a picture? Did the vet diagnose your goat? If so, what did he/she say it was? If this goat has CL and this is a CL abscess, then it might be best, but if it's not CL then it might be premature to put her down. It sounds like to me this vet just didn't want to mess with a goat so quoted a high price. It could be mastitis and there may be things you can do. Usually if anything is done to an abscess, its lanced, not removed. Stick around. We might be able to help you in the right direction.

·
14,456 Posts
This is a tough one. Spending that kind of money on a rescue isn't very prudent unless you have unlimited resources.
Even some of us who have animals born & raised in our care there comes a time when harsh decisions need to be made.

Tenacross just posted some good stuff while I was typing.

·
www.wildheartsranch.org
2,343 Posts
To me that sounds more like a tumor than an abscess - which would indeed be a complicated surgery to remove. Assuming there aren't other options, even if I had the money I wouldn't consider that expense unless it was a top quality show animal that would be likely to produce offspring worth that much over her lifetime. She might still be able to nurse a kid on the other side but would probably not be any good for milking.

·
1,147 Posts
Zebra brings up a good point.
I could be wrong here, but I was under the impression that a simple abscess should be able to be drained and cleared up with antibiotics?
Unless it's CL..???
But if it's NOT CL, that 'abscess", as the Vet calls it, sounds like something else to me....

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Yes correction it is a tumor,and she also has a smaller one starting on the other side of her udder and sorry I cannot get a pic with this device
If we are supposed to help. We need more help from you. Picture would help. If this is truly an operable condition with a good prognosis if done, I can direct you to a vet in Enumclaw Wa. that I'm pretty sure would try and do what is needed for *way* less money.
What else did the vet that looked at your doe say? How old is this goat?

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
If we are supposed to help. We need more help from you. Picture would help. If this is truly an operable condition with a good prognosis if done, I can direct you to a vet in Enumclaw Wa. that I'm pretty sure would try and do what is needed for *way* less money. What else did the vet that looked at your doe say? How old is this goat?
Are you talking about Plateau Vets in Enumclaw? Dr. Pete? Yeah, they have an operating room:)

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
Personally I would figure out the bottom line. I definitely wouldn't give pain meds for the rest of her life. Besides being a rescue, do you see where she would benignity from having this surgery? What are your uses/plans for her? I agree I am sure Plateau Vets in Enumclaw would be a whole lot cheaper:)

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Are you talking about Plateau Vets in Enumclaw? Dr. Pete? Yeah, they have an operating room:)
Yes. If the Dr. thought he could do it, there wouldn't be anything fancy about it, but it wouldn't cost $1600. No guarantees, of course. I haven't had him do any surgery, but he did knock one of mine out to take an x-ray and the goat lived through it. I know goat people that have had him do C-sections. You have to line up an appointment and that can be a pain, but if you are in the books and he knows what he's getting in to, he will try and do his best.

·
Super Moderator
32,237 Posts
sounds like you need to weigh the whole issue...Cost, pain, now and after surgery, chances of full recovery with it regrowing, and ( i hate to say it) her worth...

·
I'm watching you
22,549 Posts
OSU will do things like that for very little or even free if it's a teachable process. Removing an udder is definitely a teachable thing to show the students.

·
www.wildheartsranch.org
2,343 Posts
WSU has a vet school too, not sure which would be better in this case. OSU is known for its equine program but I think WSU does more livestock. Either way the fuel would be much cheaper than $1600!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts