Show Attire

Discussion in 'Show Circuit' started by capriola-nd, Jan 23, 2010.

1. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    So, is it required or just a strong suggestion to wear white clothes while showing goats? If it's required I better find some white denim. . . Just curious. Need to be fully prepared for show season.

2. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I do believe it's required in sanctioned shows. The most you can have is a logo on your shirt. Your shirt and pants should be white for dairy breeds. And for meat breeds you should have black pants with a white shirt.

3. Idahodreamer

Idahodreamer Senior Member

:) How about a white shirt and skirt? I wear skirts all the time.

4. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I think longer skirts are ok. I am trying to find the link to where I found this info. not finding it now, but I think it was on ADGA or somthing. I think you are supposed to wear very modest clothes.

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    for AGS shows you can have black pants or shorts :)

6. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    For showmanship you have to have a white shirt and pants(or longer skirts are acceptable). Outside of showmanship, I have shown with just a white shirt and shorts on. :) But I believe at the ADGA Nationals you do have to be in all whites whenever you are in the show ring.

7. nutmegfarm

nutmegfarm New Member

Dec 22, 2009
    NE Ohio
    dairy goats you really should wear all white. it looks very professional if you can keep clean! i usually wear white denim jeans, they're easier to find, and replace frequently :) At nationals it is VERY important that you wear all white, but at small sanctioned shows and county fairs, you can get away with just dark jeans and a white shirt though

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh yes that right Jacque all white for showmanship -- even with AGS

9. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    By wearing all white you're going to look more professional and you're going to look like you actually took the time to abide by the dress code. I think the judge will really appreciate the fact too, and who knows that might get you to score better points with him/her.

10. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    Only in showmanship and it really matters in showmanship. Ten points of your showmanship scorecard goes to Appearance of the Exibitor. Now whether you wear all whites or not in the breed rings won't get you a better score, just to clarify. But it does look more professional to wear all whites...I only wear shorts on hot summer days.

11. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I understand that. I didn't mean like, actualy points, I mean like, the judge will probably like the fact that you dressed appropriately for the class. Every judge is different and if you get a real picky judge he/she might not like the fact that you're not dressed correctly for the breed class and not judge your goat as equally as the others even in a breed class, not just showmanship. ;)

12. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    I have been lucky not to get a judge that would be that picky. :) And to be completely honest, I would be absolutely livid if my goat wasn't judged equally in a breed class because of what I looked like. That just....wouldn't be right at all. It's not about me in the conformation ring(Thank God! :ROFL: ), it's about the goat.

13. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I think the showmanship is the MUST for the show attire. For Cashmere goats, it is White shirt, and black pants, and closed toe shoes at all times. I have judged where the kids come in showmanship in shorts and sandals. I do not care if they are the most knowledgeable person out there, they are placed last. THAT IS NOT SHOW ATTIRE, for the cashmere goats. Shorts are never acceptable at all in our ring. The shirts should be long sleeve but I will accept short sleeve if they look nice.

A for the Angora goats, wow I have seen them go in the ring in rags. to me that is just horrible.

14. cbartram

cbartram New Member

May 30, 2010
    Tulia, Texas
    Thank you! I was hoping and wondering for the adga show in Weatherford this weekend if it would be "ok" to wear jeans and a white shirt. Can't seem to find any white jeans in my size!

15. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    dark blue denim is acceptable for show attire, and a white shirt, preferably button up, polo acceptable, and max is a chest logo

16. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    You can wear black jeans and a white shirt for showing. If you're having a hard time finding white jeans, check out Victoria's Secret online, thats where I got mine, or you can check out resale shops in your area :)

17. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    If you couldn't find white jeans, would very light colored khaki pants be appropriate?

18. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I have never EVER seen Dairy goat class where the showmen are not in all WHITE.

Do to a Goodwill or a thrift store to get the white pants.

19. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
  20. cbartram

cbartram New Member

May 30, 2010
    Tulia, Texas
    LOL - I do not have a Macy's anywhere near here! As big as Amarillo is, you'd think we would have one. :sigh:

Thanks so much for all of the wonderful advice. I am hoping to still go to Weatherford; worrying now since 1) have no clue as to what I am doing and 2) temps are supposed to reach into the 100's there and here; it will be a long haul for the babies even though the trailer is insulated.

I do hope to go! It is so exciting! :stars: