Show Goat Muscles?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Flow&FeFe, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Flow&FeFe

Flow&FeFe New Member

The Youth Fair was just two weeks ago and i got in 8th place out of 19. The judge just said to me "He just needed a little more muscle in the front." I worked him out so much before that people that i didn't even know came up to me and said that he was a good-looking goat. In the Youth Barns (the place where we had to keep our animals before the show) it was so cold that the animals were shivering! I put two coats on him but it didn't help that much. I think that he had lost muscle mass in the 4 days that he had been in the youth barns but i don't know. I'm going to the Major Show in Houston so i need to gain those front muscles. Is he weak in the front?

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    can you get pics of him ..from front and a side shot?

We may be able to tell you what ...if anything he may be lacking....

Remember....judges have different tastes and preferences....what one judge may like
    another may dislike....it is called the luck of the draw...in judges.... I have seen some of the best looking goats... get kicked down ...because that judge... didn't like something about it... for me... I thought it should of placed in 1st..... I feel it isn't fair ...I believe ...that a judge should go by the book rules ...not there own likes and dislikes...

3. Flow&FeFe

Flow&FeFe New Member

4. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    pic links, aren't working... :(

5. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    I wanna see too! And Im with Pam; judges should go by the book not personal preference.

6. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    :wink: :hug:

7. Flow&FeFe

Flow&FeFe New Member

Okay, does this work:

8. Flow&FeFe

Flow&FeFe New Member

Okay, does this work:

9. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
  10. Flow&FeFe

Flow&FeFe New Member

To tell the truth, i don't know. My high school's super intendant saw me show a goat last year and he liked how i showed. I got 6th place out of 22 last year. He gave me this goat and he's going to give me another goat for next year. I think that FeFe, the goat in the picture, he's a little over a year?

11. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Hmm... :scratch: I see nothing wrong with him... :hug:

Is he intact or is he wethered?

12. Flow&FeFe

Flow&FeFe New Member

No, he's not hurt or anything. I'm just wondering how he doesn't have as much front muscle as the back?

13. ENC

ENC New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    NE OK
    Intact or wethered means "buck" or "used to be buck"

Evan

14. Flow&FeFe

Flow&FeFe New Member

Oh, thanks ENC! :p I think that he is a buck. For right now anyway. My sponsor may want to change that though...

15. ENC

ENC New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    NE OK
    No Problem, But if you aren't sure just lift up the skirt and peek so to speak. It should be pretty obvious. They are prominent even on a few day old baby.

Evan

16. Flow&FeFe

Flow&FeFe New Member

Does he look good to you, though? I mean, does his front muscle not match the back? My FFA teacher thinks that i messed him up because i didn't get him a second coat in the cold until later. But they didn't sell anymore at the time!!! :p

17. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    goats dont need coats to keep their muscle mass - that would be fat that they burn off when cold. So really to muscle him up you need to exercise him. He wont loose that in a few hours of chill ;)

Many FFA teachers and AG leaders are not up on the true raising of long term healthy goats - they just want them to look good for the fair.

is he on a good roughage diet? does he get exercise daily? the way a goat looses muscle mass is through atrophy. Atrophy is when a muscle isnt used it slowly basically gets absorbed in a way into the body - it shrinks. Another way is through a parasite load like coccidia. But if your goat had coccidia it would be noticeable in other ways and he wouldnt loose weight considerably in just 4 days.

18. Flow&FeFe

Flow&FeFe New Member

Yes, he's on a good roughage diet, even though the sponsor (the one who gave me my goat) wants me to get another type of food for him later. He gets exercise daily except for 6 days before the Youth Fair. Usually I work him out 8 minutes forward and 2 minutes backward on the treadmill.

Also, he did lose about 5 or 6 pounds from the 4 days of cold, so, yeah, you're right about the fat thing

19. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well keep up the work he may need more exercise time. To build muscle you need to go further each time and stretch the limit so that it actually increases the muscle instead of just keeping it at the same size. Or change up the routine a bit. Do one exercise before the other - kind of working muscles in a different way. Thats why those that strength train will change things up on a weekly or monthly basis. They dont want to plato

20. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Maybe feed him more.. to keep up with the demand of burning off the food..... because of exercise....He may be burning off more energy than what is consumed... :wink: