Show Goat Muscles?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Flow&FeFe, Jan 20, 2010.

1. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    To me he looks to be bout 3-4 months old-Just my opinion- He does need more conditioning, meaning more feed. a show feed with higher protein will pack on the pounds as well as some good alfalfa hay- You can put his feeder higher up to make him jump up to eat -to build those chest muscles-Also if you could teach him to be a "pack" goat- We tie (2)10 lb sacks over our bucks backs and walk them all around the yard-they have to use their leg muscles-whick builds them. I would keep him feed at all times-4H shows want a more or less 'Chunky" goats-but not overly fat-here is a pic of what wins around here-He is a son of our buck Trax and pulled Champion.

2. Flow&FeFe

Flow&FeFe New Member

Thanks! I'll probably do 35 mph for 7 minutes then 40 for the last then increase by the few days. Your goat looks nice! What place did you get?

3. LomaVerdeBoers

LomaVerdeBoers New Member

Oct 4, 2009
    Az.
    He looks about 5 months old to me. I don't think he is getting enough different types of exercise, the treadmill can only do so much. :chin: It is making him lose fat weight in the areas your trying to gain.

Raise his feeder as mentioned and if he is on a nipple waterer raise it up and put a step in front of it so he can use his front quarter muscles everytime he takes a drink. We bury old used tires half way in the ground in their pens, they like to jump up and do tricks off of the tires, it's a great way to build muscle. :thumb:

If he is still intact he should be bigger than that in my opinion.

4. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    Ok

so a treadmill, will condition him, not really make muscle- they need adrenaline to really push themselves. try using a track dog or unknown person to scare him and get him running, just jogging will only burn fat.

5. Flow&FeFe

Flow&FeFe New Member

The only problems with that are these:

1. He's REALLY stubborn! He WILL NOT walk unless there's another person near him. Even the owner says that it's hopeless getting him to individually walk
    2. Don't have any track dogs where i am
    3. (goes with 1) There's not that much space at the Ag Farm; well, except for the "parking lot". It's not enclosed very well either...Wow, the Ag Farm doesn't provide much....

And you had such good ideas too! Maybe i can run him near the road with another person running after him? I'd better get a longer leash! It would seem that i have a lot of excuses huh? Where i am, is really small. You probably couldn't even spot it on the map XD

6. Flow&FeFe

Flow&FeFe New Member

I have a wooden ramp that he has to climb up it every time he wants to eat. He keeps knocking it over, that log, so that i have to constantly pick it up for him to eat but i guess it's working.

7. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    if hes not walking, you should probably get him to, have you tried a choke chain or prong collar? Seems soon as i try that they snap out of the "Im to good for this!" mode.

I dont have a track dog either, I just let the goat play with each other, big pens, and lots of natural browse (they like trees so theyre standing on their back legs reaching) Does he have others in there with him?

8. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I agree, without training him to walk on a leash, you're not going to get very far in his conditioning. Another thing, some goats just can't put on as much muscle mass as others, even with a lot of working he may not gain that muscle. You've gotten some good advice so far though. I would definately get him on some kind of meat and/or show goat feed if he's not already.

9. Flow&FeFe

Flow&FeFe New Member

My Ag teacher used a taser....

10. Flow&FeFe

Flow&FeFe New Member

I haven't walked him on a leash for 4 months XD. I only use one if we're going somewhere unfamiliar to him because she tends to go a little insane...and i mean literal! He goes berserk! He'll run and jump and all kind of things. But i always stay near him because he also tends to run back and forth to me.

Yeah, i got a Show Goat feed. But it may be that he's only picking out the things he wants in it. What Show Feed do you advise? I think i use grains? The one with corn, seeds, something else? I forgot. When i go to the Ag Farm in an hour, I'll tell you

11. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    Him going berserk and jumping is what he needs!!! We feed grain feed-It is 18% protein-, but give my opinion- Like the others said-If you can't get him walking on a lead-its hopeless. You have to start with a good built goat from day one also.In one of your first posts you said he may be over a year old-To me he doesnt look that old, but if he is-he may have had cocci, or just stunted. he should be a LOT bigger than that even with no conditioning at all. I would search for the 4-H market wether guidelines-They should help with what to feed and how to condition a goat, but by the way you post about the AG farm, you dont seem to have anywhere for him to excercise (run and jump). Are they all in stalls??

12. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  13. Flow&FeFe

Flow&FeFe New Member

FeFe will only walk when someone is behind and in front of him so it's fine if he can't lead. But i'm getting me friend ot run after him in the pasture (not where the cows are of course). And i'm making him go 50 mph on the treadmill now and when i'm done, he's panting. So i let him rest then practice setting him up. And yeah, we only have stalls for the goats. They have minuature pastures attached though so that they can run and play. But we're remodling it so it's huge. :laugh: