show kid won't gain weight

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by haytanya, May 17, 2011.

1. haytanya

haytanya New Member

May 17, 2011
    Our Jan 30th kid is not gaining weight. she only gained 5 pounds in almost 2 months. She is on very expensive vet and breeder recommened show gain. Our Dec kid is growing extremely well that is with her. Our lil Rosie appears healthy no exterior signs of illness and is in good spirits. She will eat goat treats and nibble on calf starter and she does eat the grain but just doesn't eat alot of grain. She is not pushed around by the Dec kid they get along well. Per the vet i am giving her vit B for four days I did give her probios paste, she also nibbles on hay. I am going to deworm her tomorrow. Any thoughts on how to get Rosie to gain weight ....is she just a "slow grower"?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    has her fecal been checked for worms and coccidia?

3. Randi

Randi New Member

Apr 22, 2011
    Calvert County, MD
    Worming, I agree, is in order. And, as Stacey says, fecals done by a vet.
    I feed red beet pulp for weight gain if she is eating grain. You may need to wet it as it poses risk for choke when fed dry.

4. icboers

icboers New Member

Dec 6, 2010
    Blue Ridge,TX
    I feed rice bran(Max E Glo for horses) to mine to gain weight.
    But I would run a fecal and worm accordingly, she may be wormy if she won't put on weight.

Karla

5. 20kidsonhill

20kidsonhill Senior Member

Feb 28, 2011
    Virginia
    I vote for worming, but you need to keep in mind that certain blood-lines do grow slower than other blood-lines. We have one blood-line that shows very well, structurally a wonderful goat, has wonderful muscling over entire body and leg, but grows much slower than our other blood-lines.

I would worm her with a wormer that also works for tapeworms, like valbazen or safegaurd and I would consider a round of coccidiosis treatment as well.

calf starter has lots of fat in it, doesn't sound like it should be a feed problem, We had someone recommend us try calf starter on some of our goats this year, I have been nervous about it, since it doesn't have proper calcium to phosphorus ratios and the label I looked at contained Urea. But they swear by it.

We have had luck adding vanilla Ensure to the goats feed, and there are some raw egg recipes on the internet if you google them that make good drenches or top dresses for show goats. But I agree, I don't think it is a feed problem,

Either parasites or genetics is my guess.