Show me your milk rooms!

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by Nigerian dwarf goat, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    I am going to get a stall in my barn poured with concrete for a milk room!!! I need some ideas to keep it as organized and functionable as I can! Any ideas and pictures of your own would help out a ton!

Thank You,
    Nigerian Dwarf Goat

2. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

Mine is a simple milk stand and bucket for my hiney. I keep my jar of cream and jar of wet towels on the floor beside the stand. Simple but it works for me. I only milk one right now... tomorrow it will be two. So i dont need much. It is in the corner of a stall that we use for broody mamas, young kidlets, extra hay, a few feed bags and mineral. It does have a shelf and sometimes the shelf is nice for other things.

3. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    @Sfgwife Is it a dirt or a concrete floor?
    I think I am goin to corner off a section to put the babies, because right now, they are roamin the barn while i am milking because the goat pen is far away from the milk room and it makes me nervous!

4. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    Dirt

Nigerian dwarf goat likes this.
  5. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    If you pour concrete, put a floor drain in. Even if it only runs to the outside, you can always run more pipe to channel it where you want it to go.

I have a smooth finish and put rubber mats down so there are no slipping goats. Makes it easier to hose down and get rid of spilled milk, etc.

lhorning, GoofyGoat and Sfgwife like this.
  6. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    I am sloping it down so it can run down the drain pipe we have in the isle of the barn.

HMNS likes this.
  7. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    One trick. Instead of pouring concrete, get the 18x18 concrete squares from lowes. This is the base of where we put our barn down, and a patio for our goats. You can see them in this thread: https://www.thegoatspot.net/threads/woohoo-goat-barn.204871/page-4

8. Island Milker

Island Milker Active Member

Dec 11, 2018
    vancouver island
    my milking stand is outside under a maple and cedar tree. Its kind of a pain in the ass in the winter needing to put a raincoat on to go milk and to get the goats to come out. It did just fine all winter however.
    soon to have an area with a cover over it, maybe next year.

9. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    See. Simple and smallish. But it works for me. :). Paul built my stand for me. Every week i scrub and bleach it and daily i wipe anything off that gets on it.

428449E3-8F6A-4F98-A3EF-A1F481EF34FF.jpeg 6B73D36B-C845-4A9D-98DA-E0F5096D29AE.jpeg

10. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Is it possible to leave goats in 24/7 with a milk stand?

PetLover likes this.
  11. Dwarf Dad

Dwarf Dad Well-Known Member

Yes, just make sure the stanchion cannot close and lock by itself. Or make sure to close and lock before leaving.

Sfgwife likes this.
  12. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    I have a pin in mine that i lock open or closed as needed. I have had goats in that room and i just pin it open when they are not on the stand and never had problems. You can see it on the top left by the neck “leg”

SandyNubians likes this.
  13. SandyNubians

SandyNubians Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2017
    Idaho
    :up:
    I do that as well. Always opened fully when im not there. My goats are in with it 24/7. However, they love to use it as a sleeping spot, and doing so poo and pee all over it. I don't milk on it right now. I gotta resand and stain all of it again, after that it won't be in there anymore. Right now i just clip their collars to the fence and milk right there. Really gotta get my milk stand clean and ready again!

Sfgwife likes this.
  14. Trollmor

Trollmor Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Goatless in Sweden
    Make sure it is very easy to keep clean! This must be done every day, no matter how sick you are! If possible make a gate that can close the others out, since you want them to be well willing to jump up when you want to milk them. It is easier to keep clean if the goats do not have access to the stand.

Nigerian dwarf goat likes this.
  15. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    The goats wont be able to access the milk room unless I bring them there or they get out. The hose is right behind the room and I have a little hole in the wall with a small pen to put babies while milking. I will need storage in there because the goat shed (the place I keep grain, hay, alfalfa, and supplies) is just a small deer stand with a door and a few windows (one window is busted out thanks to hurricane Harvey storms so a few feed bags is keeping it dry in there). So I will probably start keeping supplies and other stuff in the milk room to make the goat shed a little less crammed. I would keep the stuff in the tack room in the barn, but the chickens would get to it, and it is too far away from the goat pen. I keep cow, chicken, cat, dog, and donkey stuff in the tack room in the barn And old horse stuff that I need to get rid of to make more room in there.

I also keep the head lock open when I am not using it.

SandyNubians and Dwarf Dad like this.
  16. Trollmor

Aug 19, 2011
    Goatless in Sweden
    A detail: Since I very much liked to have my goats eagerly queueing up to get in, I used to let the kids follow their mothers up onto the stand, and get some treat. Rather easy to teach them to come in when they were mature.

lhorning, Chelsey and NigerianNewbie like this.
  17. Chelsey

Chelsey Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2018
    My parents had a milking room for the cow while I was growing up. It was a room built off the barn that opened up into the cow pen. Some things that I would have changed if I could: insulating it (it was super cold in the winter and that made for stiff fingers), shelves within reach while milking (if I noticed a problem and had to use a product, it wasn’t within close range), smaller door (the door was the whole wall which was nice and big to let the cow in, but it sagged), and some kind of gritted concrete (the floor was smooth concrete which got slippery when wet). Things I really loved about the milking room: high pressure hose (to clean the floor and occasionally her poopy side, I seriously suggest one) large eating area (it made it so she ate grain slower. I would possibly add large rocks to make it even slower), and an open side into the barn (so I could still see what was going on and didn’t have to get up to check on things). Now I have just a stantion under a carport and would LOVE a milking room again. I made my stantion and while it’s functional, I have to sit behind the goat. I would like to be able to put my legs underneath it and milk from the side again.

lhorning and Trollmor like this.
  18. Trollmor

Aug 19, 2011
    Goatless in Sweden
    Stiff fingers and sore teats, especially if you use a milking machine. Yes, everything within decent reach. That is one of my reasons for having a separate room for milking, that allows the animals only when they get milked. Oh yes, all surfaces non-slide, both for humans and four-legged! They are supposed to go in there also when pregnant. Oh, yes, milking from the side is much more convenient, for both goat and milker, also when the goat does not need to lift her tail. ;)

If I had to choose between an insulated room and one that is easy to use in all these other ways, I think I would choose to hand milk and refrain from the insulation. Both are best, of course.

This is a very interesting thread. Anyone more who can share pictures of milking rooms and stands?

(Edit: A better word!)

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  19. BethJ

BethJ Well-Known Member

May 28, 2019
    North Carolina
    I would love to see more pictures as well! I'm still planning my future milking area

lhorning and Trollmor like this.
  20. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    I will get a picture of my unfinished milk room in the morning. it only has a milk stand and a small pen in it right now though

Trollmor likes this.