show raving

Discussion in 'Show Circuit' started by AlaskaBoers, Jun 21, 2008.

1. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    alaska's first boer show. A grand total of 4 exhibitors, barely enough to sanchion.
    My % doe Zephyr - 1st ,1yr-under 24 months / reserve champion % doe.

My 88% doeling Calypso - 1st ,3-6months / 3rd overall % doe

My buck (totally pissed by the way) fought the whole way through the show, then the judge started juding him, then invited a few exhibitors to come take a look at "how unwide he is" arrgh. one of the breeders said "that thing should be wethered, or fed to the bears!" :angry: :veryangry: but i kept my cool, smiled and took my reserve. i had to get that out. whew, that felt good, but really, if your in a can make suggestions for future breedings, but really, a 15 year old boer breeders' first boer buck, probably won't be the big hit. don't underestamate the youth, they have feelings. whew, thanks i was raving...but other than that it was a fun and succesful show, i really learned alot.
  2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    First of all Congratulations on your placings. That is wonderful.

On the Buck. That is totally WRONG. I as a judge would NEVER do that to a kid. I might talk to that person alone and tell them but I would NEVER EVER do that in a show ring and make them fell like you did. Yes we need to know, but to do it like that? That judge should be scolded for that. I would of gone to the judge at the end of the show and told them that you appreciate their help and knowledge but you did not feel that it should of been handled like it was. Now I have talked to kids that did have a incorrect goat and I asked them if they minded me pointing some things out to the others, if they say they would rather not then I respect there choice and I do not do it. Yes that is how we learn but come on, at a child's expense? I do not think so.

If you do see the judges point then you have to make a choice, do you keep him, sell him or butcher him? That is YOUR choice and your only. If he is still fairly young some things can still be corrected.

3. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    thanks sweetgoats, thats how I felt too, ut i think i will keep him and breed him to a few select does. but i'm shipping up a really nice buck to use on the others. thanks again.
  4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    some people have no tact or they just think you should learn life the hard way. Crazy and wrong.

Congrats on the wins though thats great
  5. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Showing seems to bring out the worse in some people- to do it. you have to develop a tough skin. The importance that some people put on winning - mind you not making a better breeding, just winning- can be seen by the blantant cheating and animal abuse that can be seen some places by some people.
    I was reading your thread on building muscle. It sounded like you were having FUN- now that's the right attitude- caring about your animals , looking for good healthy stock and having fun.
    If you do manage to breed top animals and win, you will still find th occasional nasty remarks going on. As one friend told me, you can't fix stupid.

That judge could have been more professional in his remarks and there was no excuse for the remarks of the other person.

Despite the little nasites, it sounds like you had a very successful first show. Congratulations. And know that what you will remember and treasure years from now, are the good times and fun. It's amazing how the other stuff will fade away.
  6. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    yeah, it was pretty fun exempt that. there was a total of 4 breeders, and we each brough 5 or 6 goats. we started three hourse late because we were all chatting, other than the remarks she is a very good judge i think.
  7. Shelly

Shelly New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Congratulations on your wins. Sorry the judge was less then tactful. But like enjoytheride said when show you need tough skin even when you win. When you win some people will say you cheated in some way and if you lose you don't have good stock, don't take care/feed you animal right and so on. On the other hand I've met some really good people who I can call for advice or help 24/7. I do hope you had fun, learned something new and met at least one nice new person. That my aim at each show. Shelly