The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I really want to show steers next year for 4h but this is my first year of showing goats. Sony plan is to do steers next year and then decide either between goats or steers. But the only thing is I spent a lot on buying things for my goats and then I would have to spend even more money to buy all the things I need for steers! I need some suggestions please!

·
2,203 Posts
Ok so I really want to show steers next year for 4h but this is my first year of showing goats. Sony plan is to do steers next year and then decide either between goats or steers. But the only thing is I spent a lot on buying things for my goats and then I would have to spend even more money to buy all the things I need for steers! I need some suggestions please!
What exactly are you inquiring upon?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
working steers (oxen) or market steers or goats. I guess it would depend on where you live. but working steers are way more fun than market steers. personnaly i think market anything is too hard on the emotional level. i've seen way too many tears, although the cash does ease that issue somewhat. not that i am a vegetarian, but i think market goats would be the hardest to sell emotionally. if you do dairy goats you really dont have the issue. working steers are used in new england and if they are well trained there is a good market for them. i've done all of these options, and i would go with dairy goats. they are lots of fun

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What exactly are you inquiring upon?
Well my family has a ranch with lots of Herefords and angus so buying the steer would be no problem! But steers are more my passion then goats, although I loooove goats so much! But how about my plan, do you think it is good?

·
2,203 Posts
Sounds like one of those let's try it once and find out what happens. Promise you'll love it!!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks now it is convincing my mom! Haha she is not a. Ow person even though she married into the cattle business!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts