The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
BoerValleyFarm
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where I can send a video of our buck to see if he is show worthy? When we bought him we was told he was already shown before. I had the vet check him and said that he will be thrown out if we try to show him. Who knows this information? I hate to travel with him just to be told go home when we get there. Thanks so much.:lovey:

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
Dose he have a health issue that would stop him from showing?

·
Colorful Quality Boers
6,648 Posts
There are several things that you wouldn't want to see on a show buck. I know in the Boer goat show ring you could get DQ'd if your buck has a scrotal split more than 2 inches, or if his teats are not show legal, or if his bite is not aligned correctly, and then there is pigment. He must have 75% or more to pass.

If he's a dairy goat I can't help much I don't think...

But here is the ABGA breed standards if it's a boer: http://www.abga.org/page.php?pageid=8

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
If he's a dairy goat he can't have more than 1 teat per side, good bite, etc. I don't think they really judge the testicles on dairy goats that much, I've seen bucks with splits being shown and also bucks with very small testicles being shown (I think with Boers there is a minimum circumference, I want to say it is 10 inches on an adult buck). If you can take some pictures of him and post on here that would help us. What exactly did the vet say would make him unable to be shown? As long as he isn't lame, or doesn't have his feet on sideways or something he can be shown.

·
BoerValleyFarm
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didn't realize I have not said the problem. Sorry. He rolls his back leg when he walks. The vet said that the judge will throw us out when they see this.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
I didn't realize I have not said the problem. Sorry. He rolls his back leg when he walks. The vet said that the judge will throw us out when they see this.
Is this the string halt buck? I'm not a judge, but since walking funny is not a DQ fault, I don't think he would be "thrown out" of an ABGA show, but he likely would be placed back in the line as it could be seen as a hindrance to his job. (breeding does) . I've seen does place further back because they limped a little. I once saw a buck with a scrotum that went past the hocks placed further back because the condition affected his gait. This wasn't my opinion, it was included in the judges reasons.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I do livestock judging and we are always told if a gait is off place down accordingly. I can't imagine an ABGA show would be any different. If the judge or show commitee thinks that goat is in pain they may ask him to leave the ring but I highly doubt he would be DQ'd... if its the string halt buck then any judge who knows anything about structure can tell its nerve damage and does not affect the goats well being. However, if I was the judge I would have to place down for soundness and possible longevity issues... just my opinion.

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
I do livestock judging and we are always told if a gait is off place down accordingly. I can't imagine an ABGA show would be any different. If the judge or show commitee thinks that goat is in pain they may ask him to leave the ring but I highly doubt he would be DQ'd... if its the string halt buck then any judge who knows anything about structure can tell its nerve damage and does not affect the goats well being. However, if I was the judge I would have to place down for soundness and possible longevity issues... just my opinion.
I agree. We are taught that functionality is near the top in importance. If your animal is faulted in function, there is more of a chance that he wont excel in other areas, such as structure (if his gait is affecting his stance) or hardiness (incapability to move around will cause this).

·
BoerValleyFarm
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for all the responses. It is most upsetting because we drove 18 hours one way from Pa to Missouri, Oklahoma border to pick him up. Not to mention the money paid for him. We asked her why is he throwing his leg? She said he was running does and it was "testicle problems." We believed her. Also, she advertised him as being shown. Now, she said he was never shown. I have a copy of her ad. Where do I go from here? Not sure what to do.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts