The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been showing meat goats at my county fair for about 6 years now and every year , I walk them plenty, and feed them some of the best feed there is and yet I almost every year I barely make weight which is 60lbs. I just finished off this years fair so any suggestions for next year?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We are feeding them show chow and high octane supplement and we have been jumping around so around every two years we switch but these last two years I have got them at the same place and they have weighed the most ,64 and 68 I'm happy that I made weight but I would like some bigger numbers

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
Can you post a picture of them? It must be a hereditary thing in their lines. My wethers always hit the 100 mark by 7 mo. old.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We only feed them two to three cups I'm not sure how much the cup is I'm not at my house right now the one was a wether and sold at market so I don't have a pic of him but here's one of my doe that didn't sell its not very good but I can take another when I get home we get ours from a farm called from Stoney point . They have lot of ennobled goats

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
Hmm. She looks pretty large from that picture. I think that Boers should be weaned no earlier than 8 weeks, and to be successful, 10-12 weeks is better.

·
80 Posts
We wean ours at 3 months, if we sell them we wait til they are 3 months old. If we buy any they are at least 3 to 4 months too! Ours that we raise are %Boers, and we've just bought 1 full Boer to show in Sept.

When you get yours that young are you giving them any milk at all?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Okay I had a complete brain mess up !!! Forgive me, when they are born in December we get them in late February early march but my first goat I got was a bottle baby and did give it milk sorry :/

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
But how much hay do they need because I know if you give them too much they will have alot of fat too. Right? Or would all if the minerals ,exercising , and regular feed cancel it out

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Our feed has minerals, hay, and other supplements in it so honestly I don't really give them much hay or minerals seperate do you think that makes much of a difference ?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts