Showing essential to Marketing Campaign?

Discussion in 'Goats For Sale' started by Sonrise Farm, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Essential:

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Not-Essential:

62.5%
  3. Midway:

37.5%
  1. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    I was just wondering if showing is essential to your goat marketing campaign, and what kind of money saving tips you have as for showing itself, including driving, where you sleep, and stuff like that.

2. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    We don't show our goats.

3. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    For me it is very essential. Plus I really enjoy it. You learn SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much. We sleep in a tent, on cots (which are really comfy btw..). I don't know if there are really any money saving tips lol. It is expensive!!

4. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    Rule: whoever posts in the poll has to make a commet to what she/he posted in the poll .

5. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Breeding show quality goats isnt our main focus but rather breeding quality. If we do geta couple ea yr we take them.
    I have found it to be the best way to get to know other breeders and pick up tons of info.
    Last yr we sold a doe as a direct result of showing.
    As for getting to know other goaters, one family has generously offered me a place to stay during fair time.
    There are a couple of others from an area far away who share truck & trailer & gas expenses.
    If you can pre-sell goat(s) and deliver them at a show its a good thing...especially if goat does well in the ring.

6. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    I see what you mean. I plan on showing in the future, but I am wondering if i not showing will effect my current marketing status. Keep up the comments!!!

7. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I'm not sure about your area, what people want. But if you have proven lines then it shouldn't be much of an issue. But showing definatly gets your name "out there" if you know what I mean.

8. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Theres always going to be people who dont want or care about registered animals so it really shouldnt affect your marketing.
    I have registered some who shouldnt have been but I am still learning.

9. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    If there are shows in your area...I really recommend showing. As for us...there are pretty much no shows here or around our area. The only show we go to each year is at the Central WA State Fair. I really really wish there were shows around here...i'd be at each one.

As for marketing...it will likely depend on where you live. For us there are very few shows, therefore very few purchasers interested in showing goats. It's always nice to have those winnings to show off your herd, but if the majority of purchasers aren't looking to show then they're usually not concerned about that. I think it will take you some time here. Did you just kinda start out w/ breeding? It will take you awhile to really get ahang of the market in your area. Once you have some sales you'll be able to get a better idea of what your buyers are interested in.

For us, we've sold quite a few for 4H. We sold 2 doelings for showing...but i'm not sure how intent they were about that. We had 3 bucklings that sold as prospects this year. We had probably 3 or 4 doelings that went for breeding. Then the rest were mainly pets for the kids etc. even though some of them could have made excellent showing goats.

10. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    We live an hour from any near shows and my parents aren't 'into' it, so until I get my drivers liscence (yes, i drive . . .) and closer to town (we are moving) I am planning on doing 4h til I get too old and then dairy assoc. (AGS<ADGA) sactioned shows I am stuck with word of mouth and newspaper, website marketing.

11. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    shows have helped me a bit, it gets your name out and people can see waht your goats are made of... and its fun

12. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    For me it's pretty essential. Like others have said, it really helps get your name out there. Plus, you learn like a TON while doing it, get to meet other breeders and just have fun. I love it. :)

13. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    Here is my opinion from our experience-Showing is ESSENTIAL for our herd!!! We would not get the money that we do for our boers if their parents were not show winners. Instead of selling a $300 show quality boer that hasn't been proven in the ring, we like to actually show them and get them some points- yes they do sell for more money-lots more, but, in order to get our name out there to show customers how nice our goats are, we have to make our goats show winners, and make our herdsires and does winners. there is a large market for show winning boers in NC, in order for us to even be able to sell our boers-we HAVE to show!! Everyone into boers wants something different from the other and they want the best they can get- that is what we thought of when we bought our herdsires and our does. Not everyone around here has a son of Gauge-Trax- and Lord willing-when his kids hit the ground-we will have some top notch show prospects to compete with- which will -get our name out more, and help us sell more kids for more profit, We do sell goats for brood quality-does that have one too many teats or horns are not right-they still have killer papers and can produce a winner-of course they are cheaper because of the show DQ-people that do not care for showing, but like the bloodlines buy these often!-If the goats are culls-they are NOT papered and took to the meat market. this includes their body build and mothering abilities-Which would you want more? A "show prospect" for $300-or a proven "show winner" for $500??? Some people don't care for showing and it is a hobby for them-we want our goats to "pay for" themselves, and when they stop paying-we can't afford to keep them- Sorry for the rambling-just my 2 cents :wink:

14. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
  15. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Well put Heathersboers!!

16. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    showing is essential, to get you herd out there and compete, bloodlines and show points, great selling points, i hand out at least 20 business cards at one show, wether my animals are there or not, because they have heard of my animals, and how they have bloondlines with ennobled ansestors and show wins.

17. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I think showing is a nice thing and we plan to do it. . . . but I have not had any problems whatsoever selling our kids and we haven't showed the Nigerians yet. We went to some pygmy shows but no one bought our goats there. Going to fairs is the place to really get business from other people, unless you have super nice goats that other breeders will buy. . . . it'll take a little bit to get there though.

So, I chose midway because it hasn't been essential for us. . . . we have not been to a single Nigerian show and all of our kids are sold (quickly) and we have several "money" reservations to fill - come on goaties! I need some babies, these people are really excited.

18. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    If we ever move close to a town I am planning of definitely doing 4H. But since I am almost seventeen, I would only have next year to do it. They need to raise the age limit to atleast 21.

19. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    I think showing definitly helps to sell, but you can have some damn good goats whether or not you actually are showing, I show, but if the buyer, and seller, knows the potetial that the animal has, then showing doesn't matter as much. Eye of the beholder I suppose? I've heard of state champ winners selling for as low as $65 just because the person couldn't find a decent buyer who wanted to pay alot.

20. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    wow, that's very low. :(