Showing Fainters

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Fainters, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Fainters

Fainters New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Western KY
    I am thinking about showing one of my doelings and I was wondering what all I need to do or train her to do before I take her to a show. Also do they clip myotonics or just dairy breeds? Any help will be greatly appreciated. I wanted to attend the myotonic show in Lewisburg TN last weekend but my schedule didn't allow it so I am hoping that I can make the next one.

http://www.freewebs.com/scapegoatranch/

2. Shelly

Shelly New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    California
    My DD showed a fainter in the market class at are fair this year. You need to teach them to lead. Most goats are show with a dog choke chain. We hold the two ends together with a quick link so the goat doesn't choke. Collar should go right under the jaw. If your goat is choking a lot move the collar up. We did find that forest choked easier then the boers even when the collar was in the right place. So don't use a lot of pressure. You also need to teach them to set-up when you stop. The legs should come straight down making a square and there head up. If you know any one who shows goats of any kind they can show you if not look at pictures. I posted fair picture of my DD with there goats set-up not the greats I will try and find a better side picture. Shelly

3. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    If it is a sanctioned show, there isn't a need to clip them but you can. I would trim up around the hooves and horns if she is horned. We use dog collars and animal cookies. Works great!!! If she is shown in the fair, she will need to be clipped from the hocks and knees up and also the tail but make it look like a paint brush that is evenly trimmed on the end. Hope this helps.

4. all1965

all1965 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    AR
    There is actually going to be a sanctioned fainters show in KY in April. For more information go to
    http://www.myotonicgoatregistry.net
    and go to the show link
    When we show we clip but we leave the hair about 1 to 1 1/2 inches long. We dont clip to the skin.

5. Fainters

Fainters New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Western KY