Showing goats

Discussion in 'Show Circuit' started by WalnutGroveFarm, Dec 30, 2009.

1. WalnutGroveFarm

WalnutGroveFarm Senior Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Figured I would just reword the post. If any of you breeders have babies in the fall, how do they stand up in the show ring the next show season. Cause since they where born before Jan. of the new year it will put them in a awkard class. I think that would put them in the class with dry yearlings. I know that if the goats got it she will win no matter what, but I was kinda wondering bout it. Thanks

2. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Wow...I never thougt of that before. I have no idea! I hope someone can help. I know with horses it's the same way, even if you have a foal born Dec. 31, on Jan. 1st it will be considered a yearling!

3. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    this is the exactreason i never have kids early.. it does affect their placement in the yearling classes (when they get there) because most every other doe in the class has up to 11 months of maturity on them.

but generally the kid classes are broken into 0-3, 3-6, 6-9, 9-12.

4. nutmegfarm

nutmegfarm New Member

Dec 22, 2009
    NE Ohio
    If you do have babies in the fall, they might not do amazing in junior classes, but in a senior class they will ALWAYS have more maturity on their side, since they won't turn a year older until the end of show season! {sounds confusing, but is good for dairy goats in senior does}

5. animallover

animallover New Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Redding,CA
    Hi I was wondering if anybody knows how to show goats please check out my topic Help on showing!!! :help: :whatgoat: I need some help on showing my Nigerian Dwarf but any help would be great!!

Thanks