Showing goats?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by klingshirnm, Mar 21, 2011.

1. klingshirnm

klingshirnm New Member

Mar 3, 2011
    I know about showing goats, but I do have a few questions about showing after becoming a champion. First off, can you get anything more than champion from just showing? If you can't, what is the purpose of showing once a champion? I understand by showing, you get your farm name out, so it is a form of advertisement. Also, once you earn a leg as a kid or dry yearling, is it worth showing that goat again till she has freshened? I basically understand the scoring, and what you need to become a champion for the most part, but just didn't understand why to show something that couldn't get any more awards to there name.

2. harmonygoats

harmonygoats New Member

Nov 19, 2007
    Northern Arkansas
    Actually you can show your champion in champion challenge. If they beat the champion of the day and go best of breed they have a shot at best in show. People like putting best in show on their goats info. Sometimes like us, you have to take your whole herd with you so we go ahead and show in champion challenge.

3. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    After the doe is finished I would not show her unless it's in a champion challenge. If it was just in the regular classes at regular shows (not ADGA Nationals) I would NOT do that...it's a good way to not make friends at the shows. I know someone who showed their finished doe so that they would have enough to sanction the class. She milked her doe out right before walking in the ring in hopes that the doe wouldn't place since she was already finished.....

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    once a junior doe receives her leg the respectable thing to do is not show her in her class again. As stated already you can show her in the champion challenge class for a chance to win Best of Breed. I did this with my doe and she won! I was so excited :D the CC class allows you to bring out your doe even after winning once as a junior.

As a senior doe you need to keep showing in her class until she has all her legs won. Once she is a finished champion showing in her class wouldnt be wise unless as fcnubian said the doe is needed for sanction. We had that happen once and the owner did milk out her doe as well.