The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our goat (8months old) all of a sudden can’t seem to use his hind legs anymore. They drag and wobble. He can every so often scramble and they seem to semi work but then he falls down. Please any advice before I call the vet would be helpful!

·
8,095 Posts
Under the Health and Wellness here on The Goat Spot, is a post "Listeria or Polio", I think your buck may have one or the other. Goat polio is not the same as people polio.

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
Definitely give a large injection of B-Complex and observe his eyes closely to notice tremors or dilation or blindness which would all point to polio/listeriosis versus Meningeal Worm.

If you have any suspicion that Men. worm is a possibility, give a very large dose of Safeguard liquid goat dewormer. Even if the diagnosis is not correct, neither B-Complex nor Safeguard will harm him

·
Registered
349 Posts
Meningeal Worm is another possibility if you live in a state with White Tail Deer population
Ok, I asked about this on here about a month ago because my vet tech friend scared me death about it. She said there is a vaccine. Is there any kind of shot? When I asked..everyone researched and we all came up empty..but they were not as familiar with it as you seem to be. I'd rather go with preventive measures than dealing after since deer are so prevalent and in my fields daily.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Definitely give a large injection of B-Complex and observe his eyes closely to notice tremors or dilation or blindness which would all point to polio/listeriosis versus Meningeal Worm.

If you have any suspicion that Men. worm is a possibility, give a very large dose of Safeguard liquid goat dewormer. Even if the diagnosis is not correct, neither B-Complex nor Safeguard will harm him
If it is the Men worm is treatment worth it? He seems pretty far gone right now and I don't see how he can come back from this but I don't have any experience. Same with polio and listeria is the treatment effective

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
We had a buck lose his entire back end for an entire week (while being treated). When first showing M worm symptoms, he was immediately given high doses of Dex ivermectin, and safeguard. The treatment needs to be aggressive. He came back just fine, but he never really filled out in in the rear.

If he goes untreated, he will pass away. You have nothing to lose at this point. I personally would go ahead and throw the book at him, so he at least has a fighting chance.

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
If it is the Men worm is treatment worth it? He seems pretty far gone right now and I don't see how he can come back from this but I don't have any experience. Same with polio and listeria is the treatment effective
Nobody can guess if he will make the turn around, each goat responds differently but yes these treatments are typically VERY effective. Get started with Safeguard, Dexamethasone, B-Complex, and Penicillin ASAP. Make sure he can easily access hay and water.

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
B-Complex 6cc per 100lbs every 4-6 hours around the clock
Penicillin 10cc per 100 lbs every 4-6 hours around the clock
Dexamethasone 6cc per 100lbs once per day, slowly decreasing dosage daily
Safeguard liquid 23mL per 100lbs daily for 5 days

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wait did you get a vet appointment today or no? I thought from the first post you were getting it today. Has this goat had zero treatment for 24 hours since your initial post?
We have it a triple dose of ivermectin and vitamin b complex and safeguard. Our vet has not been prompt in responding there have been a lot of emergencies on our area the last few days.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The vet called back and said dex is for a trauma injury not necessary for anything worm related. She didn’t think polio or listeria due to the fact he doesn’t have a gaze into space or obvious visual signs of either one

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
The vet called back and said dex is for a trauma injury not necessary for anything worm related. She didn't think polio or listeria due to the fact he doesn't have a gaze into space or obvious visual signs of either one
Your Veterinarian is completely wrong. Dexamethasone is critical in reducing the brain swelling that comes with either Meningeal Worm or Polio/Listeriosis.

Did you give the very high dose of Safeguard listed above? You need a LOT to beat Meningeal.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Crap. We did 3x the dose for ivermectin and the dose of safeguard. She said we can pick up some dex tomorrow.
She new what worm I was talking about and her advice was “typically we treat the men worm this way..” so it sounded to me like she’d encountered it before. We are in Wisconsin with lots of white tail deer, we have a creek running through our pasture and have had a mild winter id be shocked if it wasn’t present here
I’ll pick up the dex fist thing in the morning And hope it’s not to late. This little guy is pretty far messed up and I’ll give him the best resources for getting better I can. Thank you for all the help!!! I’m going to try and post a video of him

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Sorry your boy is going through this. Good thing he keeps getting back up and isn’t staying down.

The dex should help a lot. It’s wise to treat for polio/listeria in tandem even if he doesn’t have it. Reason being that dexamethasone is a immunosuppressant, so an antibiotic won’t hurt.

Make sure to give him a lot of probiotics as well. With all the deworming, it can really upset their rumens.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts