Showing Pregnant Goats???

Discussion in 'Show Circuit' started by TinyHoovesRanch, Jan 21, 2010.

1. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

I was wondering if this is possible? To show goats while they are pregnant?

2. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    It's possible. Not as good for dairy goats since their udder will not be there - you'll have to enter them as dry. I don't plan on showing any dry does (unless they are juniors) -- makes more sense to me to wait until after freshening but it can be done.

3. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    I show mine prego... but they are meat goats not dairy goats... so the extra weight doesn't hold them back any. LOL

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    showing a junior doe when pregnant doesnt lend its self to a good placing. A judge explained to an exhibitor and i listened in. he said that when pregnant their bodies tend to dip and sag with teh weight of the kids (some more then others) [I have found to that their legs arent as correct in the back if the kids are large and they are close to kidding]. once her body is back in shape after kidding you can see more of her conformation correctly then when pregnant.

you cant show Sr does dry so she would still need to be in milk to be shown even if pregnant

5. nutmegfarm

nutmegfarm New Member

Dec 22, 2009
    NE Ohio
    I agree with Stacey, juniors don't show while pregnant, so I wouldn't do so. Senior does, I have shown them while pregnant just to fill a class so its official, but most times they won't show to their best potential, obviously without an udder or very small one (you can show them if they have freshened previously/milked), but it doesn't really harm their general appearance points, it might actually add to body capacity points. A big issue is transportation, because there is a possibility they could abort if they're not far enough along, its happened to me, but ya take the good with the bad. If its a close show with familiar goats, it shouldn't cause too much upset. :chin:

6. TinyHoovesRanch

Ok so The show that im going to is pretty small on Nigerians, usually only about 20 less nigis get showed. She is a senior doe, and the fair allows senor dry does to show. Its about a 20 minute drive, and she would be 4 months along. Im showing alot of my other goats so she would be familar with the goats she stays with.

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    at 4 months gestation she wont be techincally dry since her udder will be forming. not sure if that will be points against her in a dry class.

8. TinyHoovesRanch

Hmmm :chin:
    Well maybe I will just have to email the Fair people and ask them what I should do. Its not a big deal if I cant show her, I would rather have babies anyway