The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am all into the showing stuff, but I didn't exactly know what I was doing! I am showing a nigerian dwarf doe this year but this is the only year I can show her without breeding her :sad: So, Im stuck here! I love showing and 4h, but I don't know what to do next year! I was thinking about getting a pygmy wether to show next year and the years to come. But do I get one, or two? I've asked a few goat owners and some say one, some say two. A couple said to get two more because they like to be in "pairs" but a few other people say the three will be fine together because they are herd snimals. I don't know what to do

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A few people said to get just one because my 2 goats I have now will adapt to the new goat and they will be fine.***

·
Super Moderator
58,901 Posts
It is up to you. One goat going into a herd of 2 will be picked on pretty badly at first. If you are buying a baby, you would have to be very careful and make sure the others don't hurt it.

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
It is always best to get 2 . They have a buddy to hang around with, while they establish a pecking order.

But, if you can't get 2 or having issues with the herd being to mean. I would pen up the main bullies and let the less dominate ones establish their pecking orders first with the new Doe or does, after a week or so, then, let out the bullies out, one by one, throughout the week and they will then have to re-establish their order and may leave the newbie alone.

Also, when feeding, have plenty of different area's spread apart, so the new goat can eat.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts