Showing questions (dairy)

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by FarmGirl18, Aug 23, 2008.

1. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Okay....I've been showing my Boers for quite some time, but my first show with my Nubian girls is coming up on September 15 and 16th, the OK State Fair. I'll be showing 4 times, 2 open and 2 youth shows.

So...give me your tips and tricks, how many days before the show do you generally clip them? Any info would be appreciated. 1 will be in the 5 mo. and under class, and 2 in the 5-8 class, my brother will be showing one for me. I have NO idea though how they will behave, LOL it should be pretty interesting!! I'm excited about it, can't wait to see how they do!

2. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    As far as clipping goes, somebody else can tell you when to clip them for the fair. Personally, I could do it a week before. What color are they?

Since it is a couple weeks away, work with your kids, just work with them for 5-15 minutes a day with leading with a collar and just walk them in circles like you are showing them, stop them and mess with their legs so that they get used to you touching them and setting them up. It took my kids about a week to get used to being set up. I don't show but I still like my kids to set up nice :)

3. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Oh, good luck at your show! :)

4. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Thanks Sarah. They are different shades of brown and white, thankfully no black ones. :)

5. harmonygoats

harmonygoats New Member

Nov 19, 2007
    Northern Arkansas
    We wanted to go to that show but our county fair is the same days. What size blade are you going to use? This late in the year we usually use a 5 and sometimes they are clipped the day before. Our last show is the Arkansas state fair in mid october and it is cold by then. We usually clip one more time with a 5 before then. One friend clips with a 10 now and doesn't re-clip before state. With us in northern arkansas we never know what the weather will do. :)

6. Pheonix08

Pheonix08 New Member

Mar 9, 2008
    Western N.Y.
    We clip with a 10 on the body and a 30 on the udders. Yours don't have one but thats ok just a tip.
    We clip black or white ones a week and 1/2 before show unless they are showmenship goats in that case 5 days before show.
    Any other color not later than three days before show so they can fluff out incase you make a mistake.

If you doing showmen ship make sure to:
    Clean the butt(Apply baby oil or vasoline so it slides of well you showing, ears and nose w/ baby wipes
    Scrub the feet them apply vasline abnd vet wrap if you are going to have to put them back in the pen to change.
    Or just srub and apply baby oil and your on your way.
    Trim around hooves w/ 30 clippers or surgical sissors(they are sharp so they cut right through unlike used sissors.
    You might want to give them a bath a day or two before so their hair isn't oily or have dandruff.
    I think thats it.

Good Luck

Opps one more think if you goat has a tendencie to sniff other butts in the ring put VetRX up the nose shortly before entering the ring.

7. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Thanks so much for the tips! I was planning on clipping with a 10, but do you think I should do it with a 5 instead?

Too bad your county fair was on the same days harmonygoats, that would have been neat to meet you.

8. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I clip with a seven on the body, i then use a ten on the legs to just above the knees and hocks, if i use a seven the legs look funny and knnes look larger then they are. A fourty is used on the udders and inside ears. I also use the ten around the muzzle to get a bit shorter cut there and to make it look cleaner. I use throw away razors and shaving cream on udders the night before or morning of the show.
    beth

9. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Thanks Beth!
    What's the best thing to use for collars? And also, do ya'll give them a bath the day before the show?

10. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

a dog choke chain works best. yes i do bathe before the show, usually the day before if i can pull it off then i do the morning of.
    beth

11. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Great! Thanks a lot!

12. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    You really use throw-away razors and shaving cream for udders?! That is a great idea, never thought of it. :)

13. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Yup, thats what most dairy people use, you have to wait until the udder is full, sometimes hair conditioner works better then shaving cream as it isnt as thick.
    beth

14. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    That makes sense. I was trying to figure out how they are able to trim so close, I can't see a single hair anywhere and my clippers aren't able to do that. I will be trying that soon. :)