Showing two goats at once?

Discussion in 'Show Circuit' started by redsticker, Mar 12, 2010.

1. redsticker

redsticker Member

May 7, 2009
    SE Louisiana
    I've never shown before and it's been years since I've even been to one... so what's the protocol when you have two goats who would be in the same class at the same show? How can I show two goats at one time?

I don't have any goat friends yet and I don't think any friends would show for me. And I don't know if my 10yo would be up to it.

Any ideas? Should I just wait for the next show?

2. 7acreranch

7acreranch New Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Eastern OK
    What kind of show is it. I know my boys just showed at 4h/ffa show, they only had one goat but a friend/mentor to them was showing 6 goats ans 3 sheep. They did the classes by weight and then broke them down into groups if he had 2 in the same class he made sure his goats/sheep were in different groups.

3. redsticker

redsticker Member

May 7, 2009
    SE Louisiana
    They are all ADGA sanctioned dairy goat shows (not youth) and the classes they go by are months old. I've only got the info so far for one but was told the others will be similar. And both of the junior does I'm getting would fall into the same class as they are only two weeks apart.

I'm starting to think that since there will be 3 shows total but one is a single, one is a double and one is a quad show, that I can show one at some and the other at the rest. I know that the large show allows substitutions.

Kind of an off shoot question but how many wins does a junior doe have to get in order to get a leg?

4. harmonygoats

harmonygoats New Member

Nov 19, 2007
    Northern Arkansas
    There will be people that can help you there. If you are holding 2 ring side, a lot of the times someone will offer to help, if not ask or just hand them a goat.LOL

5. nutmegfarm

nutmegfarm New Member

Dec 22, 2009
    NE Ohio
    Most dairy goat people will be willing to help you out. That's how you make friends in the goat showing community lol :)

6. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I'd take both of them, like the others said usually people usually are always willing to help out, typically when I go to a show I show lots of goats for other people, even people I don't know, and then they return the favor by helping me out. Lots of fun! :)

7. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

Yep! I say take them both too! There is always someone at a show looking for a helping hand for a certain class- its not uncommon at all.
    Definately take both the girls! (Plus then you wont have one crying at home alone! :))

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    bring both does -- tell the show secretary you need a hand with two in one show she will more then likely tell you of a youngster who will be happy to help our OR if there is a group of people standing by ask as you go into the ring, does anyone not have a goat in this class who is willing to show a doe for me? and more then likely someone will be happy to help you out :) I do it all the time for people.

Also for the Junior champion -- if she wins a champion leg then she shouldnt be shown in the next show as she is as far as she can go. Only allowed one champion leg as a junior the other 2 have to be as a Sr doe.

9. nutmegfarm

nutmegfarm New Member

Dec 22, 2009
    NE Ohio
    If it's a double ring show and I have say two dry yearlings, I show one in one ring and one in another if I'm sure they'll pick up their drylegs that show.