Showing Two Goats in the Same Class?

Discussion in 'Show Circuit' started by Pardus, Jul 7, 2018.

1. Pardus

Pardus New Member

Jul 12, 2017
    North Houston
    I have two junior girls, one born 4-5-18, the other born 4-24-18, that I’d like to show, however I can only show one goat at a time. Is it possible to “lease” out one of the doelings to someone else to show them at the same time? I’m the only name on my ADGA account and, since I’m a youth member, I’m not sure if I can add someone else. Ideally, I would like to get one of my siblings to show alongside me, but I’m not sure if that’s possible.

2. HJoy

HJoy Member

Mar 22, 2018
    Oregon
    Around here you can show both as yours, but just have to have a 2nd handler to take the 2nd one in the ring for you.

groovyoldlady and goatblessings like this.

3. groovyoldlady

groovyoldlady Goat Crazy!

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    Hjoy is correct. We show For ADGA and 4-H. When it is time for the breed/age classes you can show them both. You just draft someone else to handle the second goat. We usually grab another 4-H kid, but you can use who you like. It is nicer if your extra handlers are dressed in show uniform. But we've had extras help out just wearing "street" clothes before.

4. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    My kids show Boer goats in the county fairs and have at some ABGA shows as well, and we do the same thing. If they have more than 1 goat in a class, we enter both in his name and ask someone to show the 2nd one. For youth only shows, it needs to be a youth that shows the 2nd goat. But in the open shows, anyone can show.

5. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Oh I’ve never even though about this! My son has two doelings that if entered would be in the same class and I made him pick one or the other......which of course IMO he picked the wrong one lol I’m going to go look at the rules and see if it says anything about no more then one per class

HoosierShadow likes this.
  6. HJoy

HJoy Member

Mar 22, 2018
    Oregon
    Some shows with high entry numbers will cap the entries at only one or two per class, but many are left open. I always encourage my 4-H kids to take two if they have them and then help one another show. I think it helps promote club bonding when they work and show together.

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yes, ask someone to show the other doe.

8. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Yep definitely ask or look at rules. I think most of the shows around here allow 2-3 per class, others have a max allowed to enter in the show.

Jessica - my nephew spent the month of June with us and got to show at 4 shows. We kept a nice buck kid for him and let him pick a doe kid, he also helped show a yearling doe. They were basically my son's goats, and I felt bad because he was beating my son in some of those shows lol. But... we all wanted him to have a great experience.
    The fun thing was, the young doe, and the young doe my son picked this year were taking turns winning their classes and each won Reserve champion at a couple of shows. The yearling was overall reserve at the last show we went to. My son couldn't show her because she was a single entry and they only brought single entry's in at the end for the champion drive, so my son ended up bringing in his older doe who won her class.
    We were at a show where he had 3 does in the champion drive... but we had like 5 and only 4 kids to show them lol I had to talk my friends son into taking one in for us lol. I couldn't because I was holding another doe. It's been a crazy show season lol.

toth boer goats likes this.