Shown a goat

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Coraxfeather, May 18, 2009.

1. Coraxfeather

Coraxfeather New Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Slippery ROckPA
    Ok I very new to shown a goat and we just goat tasha Reggestered. I have gotten a book that 4H kids use to learn how to show them. Hey my boss use to be a 4H leader. I do not know if I am doing this right. I started trying to teach Tasha to set up by following what is in the book. She will not do it at all. I stop when she starts to fight me about it. Am I doing something wrong with her?? Is she too young to start training?? Should I waiten until she is a bit older?? She has taken to leash training with flying colors. Very easy to be lead around on a leash. Started learning a few tricks just will not set up for me or stay still for a momment to get a few confermaction pictures.

2. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    You are doing nothing wrong and no she is not tooo young. I am a 4-H and have trained kids as young as 1 1/2 to walk for me with no problem. I got a third in showmanship last year with a doe only 2 months old.

They key is patientence. If she starts to fight you I reccomend letting her for a second and whens she's done trying to fight. Try it again. I had a goat that kicked when I touched her hind leg and a few that would lay down when I tried to walk them. It can be frustrating, but it always pays off. :greengrin:

I hoped that helped and good luck. :thumb:

3. harmonygoats

harmonygoats New Member

Nov 19, 2007
    Northern Arkansas
    Just be patient. Right now it is a battle of the wills, which by the way you can win.LOL Just keep working with her she will get the idea. When she fights you take a minute for her to calm down then start again. Just don't stop when she fights you then she wins. My dd just won state showmanship and sometimes she has some that take a while to get the idea, some longer than others. :)

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    she is on the bottle right? while she is takign her bottle play with her legs and set them correctly. She will get use to it easier when she is occupied eating ;)

5. Coraxfeather

Coraxfeather New Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Slippery ROckPA
    no she is wheened. I can touch her anywhere she jsut will not set up for me. She fights me on her leed when my Dude just calmly follows. I am so careful with her. But I did get her to set up for me this mornign for about 30 seconds. WEnt to turn on my camria on my phone and she reared up and got away from me. I think she is to spoiled but she has turned out to be a beauitful babt that I am really proud of. I am going to keep trying with her. Any other suggestions. I have tired feeding her before our lessions, not feeding her before, playign before her lessions and then waiten to play after we are done. THis mornign is the first time she set up for me and that was after she ate breakfast and then became play time.

6. Shelly

Shelly New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    California
    Don't stop when she fights. That teachers her fighting will stop you from messing with her. Always stop after she set up for you. Shelly

7. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Have you tried tiring her out before you work with her? Then she will have less energy to fight. And if she starts to behave, gradually tiring her out before you work with her.

8. Coraxfeather

Coraxfeather New Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Slippery ROckPA
    that is going to take a while. I have had her out for hours and she is still running around and playing. SHe follows me when I am doing my chourse around the farm. Is there such things as downers for goats??

9. Coraxfeather

Coraxfeather New Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Slippery ROckPA
    ok one more newbie question. Should I leave her horns on or get them burt?? I am new to shown. Just wondering for all those out there that show.

BTW I got her to set up and almost got a picture of it. My batteries died on me just before I took it. MY boss was holding her.

10. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Where is the show? If it's the fair and they allow horns on fainting goats then you don't have to. But at my fair the only goat that can have horns is the pygmies. I would say check with the show's advisor. :wink: