shows

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by countryboy, Oct 30, 2009.

1. countryboy

countryboy New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Please tell this countryboy about the show life. Ok, I meant buying animals from the show itself. Is it a one day thing or do the winners come back the next day? When would someone ask a person if they wanted to sell a certain animal. What would you need to do to make sure you are ready to finish the sell, after all you may not see these people again.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    unless its a 4H show - no you dont come back the next day.

All the shows I have been to are 1 day shows or 2 day shows where I come and go each day.

Winners are awarded their ribbons and other prizes (depends on show) during the show.

I don't sell goats at the shows yet. I may put up an advertisement that I have goats for sale but I rarely see people actually selling a goat at a show. Not that it cant happen but we are so busy that stopping to sell a goat doesn't usually fit into our plans. Between those that show we may but to the outside public it's less likely.

I will offer to bring a goat to a show that I am already going to for someone to give me final payment and pick up their reserved goat.

Does that answer you question?

3. countryboy

countryboy New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Kind of. I was thinking that we might go to a show and see something we like and bring it home.

4. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    if someone has a forsale sign on a pen or you get a chance to talk to an exhibitor just ask them. You will want to bring the money with you or at least enough for a deposit so you can go to their place later to pick up the purchased animal.

5. countryboy

countryboy New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Thank you for the reply. I was thinking we would have the money on hand and pick an animal out. We then ask the owner if it is for sell.

6. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    um I am not sure going about it that way is going to get your a favorable response. IF a goat is at the show it more then likely isnt for sale.

if you take the time to clip, get a health certificate and transport the goat then you more then likely want to show that animal which means you feel it is one you want to keep.

I would ask first if the exhibitor has any goats for sale before just picking one out. I know personally if someone picked one of my goats and said "I would like to purchase that one" I would be like "excuse me, SHE is NOT for sale"

I am sure others will react differently and maybe I just get offended easily :shrug: I just don't want you to get a bad impression of someone because they took offense to you picking out their best doe to purchase.

7. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

I personally would be flattered if someone came up to me at a show and liked one of my animals enough to want to purchase it.

What I would do if I were you, is first look at the program to see if anyone has any advertised for sale, they may or may not have brought the stock for sale at the show, but you could at least talk to the owners and maybe put a deposit on one they might have for sale at home.

I know lots of people in this area usually have kids for sale that are at the show, since they bring the kids along to nurse the mother after her class is up, so you may be able to walk away with some doelings pretty easily!

If all else fails- just wander around and if you see a pen of animals you like and the owners are around (and not too busy!) strike up a conversation with them and let them know you really like their animals and would be interested in purchasing a doe or two if they have any available.

But i do agree- your not going to be able to walk into the show and pick out your favorite doe and buy her- she more than likely would not be for sale (especially if she is winning! :wink: )

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    OH I would be flattered too -- but people who arent showing that come up to me and say "is this one for sale?" or "I want that one" annoy me because I cant tell if they really understand the worth of the animal or that just because they are on display doesn't mean they are for sale.

Addie has a good idea - striking up a conversation is the best way for the herd owner to know that you are serious and you understand the value of the show animals.

9. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    A lot of shows have a sale barn or sale ring after the show where you can purchase animals. When I have kids available I will bring them along to the shows with me.

If you are buying at a show I would recommend searching websites and such first to find out what the typical price on the breed you are looking to purchase is. A show is a very busy time for an exhibitor so as a breeder having a person trying to wheel and deal me would annoy me as it would be wasting my time and take away from my show experience.

I would also suggest that you wait to start a conversation with a breeder/exhibitor during the lunch break... that is usually the only spare time where someone would be able to sit down and talk with you and not be so crunched for time.

What breed are you looking at purchasing?

Good Luck!!!!!

Jess
    Faint-Hearted Ranch
    www.faintheartedranch.net

10. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    Most of the time at our fair we'll give out business cards to those who have an interest-some people do offer some goats for sale-but not many. I always hope to have my sales done before my first show-I dont like to hang on to any extras any longer than I have to.