Sick 2 month old Doeling

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Clementine, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Clementine

Clementine New Member

Jul 1, 2013
    Hi all,

I am new to this site and new to goats.

I have a 2 month old doeling who is sick. Two days ago she had diarrhea on her hind legs. I associated this with her grain diet. Yesterday I let her out of the stall with 2 other little doelings- they darted out- but she did not. She just stood there...very unlike her. I lead her gently out by her collar and noticed while doing so that her belly was much, much bigger than it had been the day before. When I watched her, she was grinding her teeth, appeared to be gagging every now and again, tried itching her head with her back leg but was very slow and cautious about it as I think it was hurting her stomach to do so. She was walking slowly, with very weird steps. I gave her a shot of CD/T (not the antitoxin) and have been giving her 400mg of Ibuprofen, 5-7cc of Milk of Magnesia, Probiotic powder, baking soda and electrolytes... I withheld grain from her all day yesterday- she didn't want to eat anyway. Today she seems better, but it still not completely well. She is browsing and eating some twigs, leaves and grass which is an improvement and her stomach has gone down a bit, she is also lifting her tail and runs away from me when I walk up to her. I have no idea what could have happened to her. I thought it may be enterotoxemia..but they don't have access to their grain for her to have overdone it, she may have eaten the other girls grain, though- I don't know. She isn't crying. She lays down in the stall for the most part and walks like she is uncomfortable, her butt area has cleaned up a lot-I haven't seen her go to the bathroom, but I have seen her pee, she seems depressed and lethargic still. The other two are perfectly fine. What should I do?

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Can you get a fecal on her for worms and cocci?

Also get a temp in case

3. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Also this girl needs to up walking, it sounds like bloat to me is her left side high & hard?
    If so you also are going to have to massage very briskly, almost violently.
    You can make her a baking soda drench she's going to fight & spit & sputter & you might wear more than goes down her.
    Keep at it until she belches several times.

4. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Grindingof teeth indicates gut pain....Exteriotoxima can be set off by so many things,,,feed change..rich graze, weather change..anything basically that stresses the goat out..If you have C D Antotoxin I would choose that over the M.O.M. but it is a great idea when you dont have C D Antitoxin...So I would continue the MOM or CD ANti. until she acts 100%...it takes time for the toxins to work its way out...Probios will help restore rumen function, Baking soda in enough water to drench will help if she is bloated..and as Nancy said...message and knead and walk her until she burps or toots..
    I would also get a temp on her to besure she is not suffereing from fever and need antibiotics..

No feed until she is better...see she drinks plenty of water..

5. Clementine

Clementine New Member

Jul 1, 2013
    Thanks for the responses.
    I hope to get a fecal tomorrow for worms. Her eyes lids are very pink as are her gums so I think she's okay there.
    She has improved, but is on a cycle of ups and downs and has been since I posted. Right now she is in the barn yelling for me because she hasn't really eaten in 3 days.
    When can I give her food again? What should I give her when I start feeding her again?

Night before last after her round of medicine (I have changed from Ibuprofen to aspirin) I massaged her stomach thoroughly- afterward she scoured 4-5 times- one right after the other and seemed to be straining to do so... this was the first time I had seen her go to the bathroom since she had been sick.
    Her temperature has been running 102.1-102.4. Today her poop is a little clumpier instead of watery and she is still peeing fine.
    Still grinding her teeth once in a while, but seems like she is chewing cud more so today than actual grinding of the teeth...what a sound that makes! :eek:

I know she is hungry...and I feel awful about withholding food from her but I want to do what is best. Please give any advice you can about this.

Thank you!

6. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I would offer her as much hay or alfalfa she wants as well as green leaves from your trees...I would hold off on feed until she is back to 100% ...feeling great with berries...fix up some electrolytes ..giver her daily probiotics to help restore flora..I would stop Aspirin if she is not in a lot of pain...