The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are new to goats. One of my 3 wethers, quit eating yesterday. He just wants to lay down. After reading on here, last night, I tried feeding him a few pinches of wet baking soda. His stomach is soft this morning, but he still doesn't want to eat.

They have been wormed.This morning I also noticed his eyes have goopy yellow crusty stuff at the inside corners.

I haven't taken a temperature. Do I need a special kind of thermometer or will a human digital thermometer work ok?

I did find that he must have brushed up against a cactus, and has prickly pear cactus spines in his side. Would being uncomfortable and in pain, cause this?

What else can I try?:pray:

·
Registered
30,259 Posts
Do get his temp...101.5-103.5 is normal range..I use a cheap digital thermometer from walmart...
with the crusty eyes Im thinking Pneumonia but with out further info I cant say for sure...So

get his temp asap..
listen for rumen noises, left side, girgles, rumbling, gasses and burps all indicate rumen is function
check his lower inner eye color...you want to see deep pink to red

for now..give 4-5 cc B complex per 100# sub Q as a support vitamin

You will need Tylan 200 in case he has pneumonia ..dose is 1 cc per 25# sub Q twice daily for 5-7 days OR if you have a ver that works with you..Nuflor is a Great RX choice..3 cc per 100# sub Q once daily for 5-7 days..

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Also, if he's cold, he would need to be brought up to temperature, before being offered food. Goats' rumens apparently don't function at below 100F, so not eating can help prevent further problems with food curdling in the stomach. A human digital thermometer will work just fine, if that's on hand.
You have, of course, already removed the cactus needles?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have removed most of the spines...although I keep finding more each time I check him I find more. Poor guy. I think removing them is just as painful. I feel horrible.

I took his temp which appears normal - thankfully. It is 103.1.

However, when I took the temp - I noticed there is a little mucous. I also re-read the worming medication (DuMor brand) which says it may need to be repeated at 2-4 weeks. It was 4 weeks ago when we administered the first round.

suggestions?

By the way - this site and everyone responding is wonderful. I cant get over how helpful. Thank you.

·
Registered
30,259 Posts
Being off feed would make believe more is going on then the discomfort of the spines...although Im sure that hurts...Temp is good..on the upper end of normal...I would take it a few more times today to be sure cooler weather temps didnt effect his...pneumonia doesnt always present fever...so some times we have to go by the total picture, also how does his rumen sound? is he chewing a cud? How does his lower inner eye lids look?
Because Pneumonia can be sneaky...I would start antibiotics IF

goat is off feed
stands hunched, tail tuckes
green or yellow eye/nose discharge
basically acting ill

You kow you baby better then we do...so go with your gut...Antibiotics should not be used irrisponsably but sometimes our gut says we need to use then evenif temp is fine...it wont hurt...

be sure to follow up with probiotics 3-4 hours after each dose to help restore flora

1 - 6 of 6 Posts