The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We bought 4 commercial Boer does a week ago. We brought them all home and they were all doing good. One had pinkeye, but the others were fine. Yesterday, I noticed one was acting off. She had been super friendly and eating good etc.
The person we got them from never dewormed or vaccinated. We gave them all Safeguard. He never gave grain, just hay and pasture. We did give them a small amount of treats to get them used to us. I noticed her back end was a little dirty and her poop was mushy, kinda diarrhea, but not watery. Today it seems more firm, but she’s been laying in the stall all day. Her temp is 100.7. I haven’t given her any grain, just offered some hay. She’s not lethargic or anything, but she’s just been laying in the stall all day. Any advice?

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
Give her some probiotics orally and fortified vit B complex SQ 6 cc's per 100 lbs for 3 days or more 1 x a day.

Keep an eye on her no grain while she is ill.

I would get a fecal for worms and cocci too right away.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Give her some probiotics orally and fortified vit B complex SQ 6 cc's per 100 lbs for 3 days or more 1 x a day.

Okay, thank you! I did give her a little yogurt because I had that on hand. I'll get the other stuff as well.

·
Registered
30,616 Posts
Keep checking temp..silent pneumonia can start with sub temp then spike.
If you have cd antitoxin, give her a dose since her temp is low. Don't want to end up with entertoxemia.

·
TKC Farms
2,482 Posts
Keep checking temp..silent pneumonia can start with sub temp then spike.
If you have cd antitoxin, give her a dose since her temp is low. Don't want to end up with entertoxemia.
What is difference between C & D anti toxin and C & D toxin. I have the toxin. Is C & D tetnus toxiod the same?

Reactions: Moers kiko boars

·
Registered
30,616 Posts
What is difference between C & D anti toxin and C & D toxin. I have the toxin. Is C & D tetanus toxoid the same?
cd&t.jpg
tetnus antitoxin.jpeg

CD&T is a toxoid,( first pic) a vaccine. Takes 2 weeks for it to be effective
Tetanus Antitoxin (second pic) is not a vaccine, its for treatment or immediate protection...goes in, does it job, leaves the body. This is what you want with doing banding or disbudding or any deep wound injury.broken bone.
It can be so confusing. I hope this helps.

·
TKC Farms
2,482 Posts
I have a little of the essential 3 + 1 exp. date 2021
The yellow bottle has an expiration of 12-2019

IMG_1589194591.980505.jpg
IMG_1589194661.884427.jpg

·
TKC Farms
2,482 Posts
Is that good or bad? I'm not sure I need a vaccine right now until I get the pneumonia under control.
For the record everybody's temp except Abel (boy goat) was in the good range from 101.8 F to 103.8F. Abel was 104.6F. All famacha scores on all 4 goats including Abel was 1 or 2 scale. The youngest, Lottie, has been off feed but temp is good, famacha is good but she doesn't feel well, you can tell by her actions. She eats a little alfalfa and oat mix but this evening I top dressed with a little probiotics and she nor any of the goats but Abel cared to eat much of it. They did keep going back to it though. I cut some green leaves and fed all some and Lottie ate the leaves. I have drenched her with a 30ml dose of probiotics (2 teaspoon powdered probiotics) mixed with warm water yesterday and gave a B Complex shot this morning (5ml) , she weighs about 40-50 pounds. I think I'm going to give Abel one more Baytril 2-1/2ml tomorrow because of the temp. They say that it stays in their system for a week. This is my plan to proceed with unless some of you more experienced people have other ideas. Thanks

·
TKC Farms
2,482 Posts

Would alfalfa and oats mixed be considered grain.? I have been told no but it would make sense that it is? If so I have been feeding it to my sick goats. What should I be feeding?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts