The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 6 day old Pygmy kid. She’s the first bottle fed baby I’ve ever had. I’ve been feeding her the goat milk replacer. She was doing really good with it. About her 2nd or 3rd day I noticed her limping around favoring her left front leg. That day she had a rectal temp of 103.8. However it went down to 103.2 the next day and no more limping. I did palpate her legs but she didn’t respond as if in pain. So I just thought she nicked her leg. But the past two days she has had very runny poop. Yesterday she had some that was a little green. Since then it’s been yellow. I am feeding her 4 times a day 3oz. She just rejected her first bottle today and I just checked her temp and it’s 105.3! I noticed she didn’t want to walk around and is standing with her back hunched. I suspect it may be joint ill. The only vet around me is on vacation for the next 12 days. There is another vet an hour away but I haven’t been able to get in touch with anyone yet. Is there anything I can give her to bring the temp down and any way I can get her to take something to help her?? I’m so worried about her and do not know much about goats. Her umbilical may be swollen but I’m not sure if there’s normally a little bump around it. Any information would be helpful.

·
Super Moderator
32,237 Posts
Any swelling in the leg joints? I agree she may not be doing well on replacer. To address the scours, stop replacer for 12 to 24 hours...feed her a quality electrolyte in place of milk. Once she is firming up feed her whole cows milk from the grocery store. To know how much to start with, get her weight. Multiply that by 16 to get her weight in oz and Multiply that by 10% to see what she should start with in milk per day. Divide that into 4 feeding. After each bottle, feel her tummy. You want a flat but firm tummy, no too poochy and not sunken in. Adjust her milk amount +/- as needed a little at a time.
Add a punch of baking soda in her first bottle of the day and a bit of probiotics in her last bottle of the day.

Reactions: JML Farms

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can you post a picture of her umbilical area? Also, she may be having problems with the replacer. How much does she weigh?
Can you post a picture of her umbilical area? Also, she may be having problems with the replacer. How much does she weigh?
View attachment 213183 She weighs about 4.5 lbs
Any swelling in the leg joints? I agree she may not be doing well on replacer. To address the scours, stop replacer for 12 to 24 hours...feed her a quality electrolyte in place of milk. Once she is firming up feed her whole cows milk from the grocery store. To know how much to start with, get her weight. Multiply that by 16 to get her weight in oz and Multiply that by 10% to see what she should start with in milk per day. Divide that into 4 feeding. After each bottle, feel her tummy. You want a flat but firm tummy, no too poochy and not sunken in. Adjust her milk amount +/- as needed a little at a time.
Add a punch of baking soda in her first bottle of the day and a bit of probiotics in her last bottle of the day.
i don’t think there’s any swelling everything feels normal. I have mana pro goat electrolytes is that good quality?

·
Super Moderator
32,237 Posts
Yes..that will do. Keep tabs on her temp as well. Glad there is no swelling. Do see about a picture of her naval.

Oops I see the pic now..

·
Super Moderator
32,237 Posts
I see some pink skin but hard to tell if it's red and swollen. Maybe some one else can see better but doesn't look infected to me. But let's see what others see.

Reactions: toth boer goats

·
Super Moderator
32,237 Posts
That sounds normal. As long as there no squishy swelling, heat and or pus, should be good.

·
Super Moderator
32,237 Posts
Yes whole milk from the grocery store is fine too.

·
Registered
335 Posts
As others have stated yes, the reason we get it from our local dairy is that they have pasteurized but not homogenized available. Also we try to support local businesses versus big box retailers when possible.

if yo go the whole milk route scours are not an issue as can be with the Mana Pro. Not saying anything bad about it, just for us it was not the best option.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
As others have stated yes, the reason we get it from our local dairy is that they have pasteurized but not homogenized available. Also we try to support local businesses versus big box retailers when possible.

if yo go the whole milk route scours are not an issue as can be with the Mana Pro. Not saying anything bad about it, just for us it was not the best option.
Okay I will buy whole milk from the store for now and see if I can’t find a local dairy. I’m sure there is one around me. Thank you so much!

·
Super Moderator
32,237 Posts
Be sure the dairy is tested negative for Johnes if you go fresh cow dairy milk 😉
I have raised many babies on whole cows milk from the grocery.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Be sure the dairy is tested negative for Johnes if you go fresh cow dairy milk 😉
I have raised many babies on whole cows milk from the grocery.
Okay will do. I hope this is all that’s wrong with her. I’m so worried. She took one ounce of the electrolytes a couple hours ago but won’t take to the bottle since. She looks so pitiful 😢💔she’s just standing slouched. Her temp came down a little to 104.2.
Carnivore Dog breed Toy Whiskers Comfort

·
Super Moderator
32,237 Posts
Poor baby. When tummy hurts they can be pretty sad looking. Temp is slightly elevated still (101.5- 103.5 being normal range) she may need antibiotics. She .aybe dealing with more than upset tummy. Be prepared with tylan 200 (otc) or nuflor (rx) I would also give her a shot of B complex.

Reactions: toth boer goats
1 - 20 of 162 Posts