Sick 6 month old buck

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Chloe1233, Oct 19, 2020.

1. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I hope you have a good vet. My suspicion is that there is something in the field. By the looks of him, you need professional help. The only other thing you could try is activated charcoal. But all of this is just to get him through the night until you can get hold of a vet.

2. Chloe1233

Chloe1233 Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2017
    If he ingested something poisonous in the pasture, how long would it take to cause effect? He’s been out of the pasture and in a dirt floor barn for 5 days now.

Moers kiko boars likes this.

3. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I have had two goats get snake bite last summer..first time in 15 years. You may need to shave the area to see puncture. If the snake did a dry bite some venom may have still penatrated enough to cause swelling and pain. Hes a little guy so a full on bite would have killed him. I lost my small buck but my adult Doe was fine. You just never know. Just in case, tonight I would give Dex ( 1 cc per 20# IM) and Benedryl (I would give 10-15 cc) and a Penicillin (1 cc per 20# Sub Q). I would do cool not cold compresses on the swelling. Then get him to the vet asap tomorrow if he doesn't show any improvement. Spider bite is another possible cause. same treatment. Im just thinking to get him through tonight.

4. Chloe1233

Sep 26, 2017
    I don’t have dex in hand but I’ve given him some Benadryl and will give some penicillin.

5. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    thats a good start tonight..cool compresses as well to help reduce swelling. DId I read you gave banamine already ?

6. Chloe1233

Sep 26, 2017
    I have, I gave a dose about 8 hours ago

7. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    great. Hopefully he will feel better soon.

8. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

Goodness he is TINY for a six month old. Maybe not a snake (not saying it wasnt either cause snakes are sneaky things... i do not see them in my barn but once in a while i surely see skins) but you know there is a mouse and chipmunk in the barn. Either of those could have bitten him as well. He needs a vet.

He also looks wormy to me and needs a good mineral and copper. His coat should not be that rough at all. I would also consider wethering him too when he is feeling better.

9. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Right, may not be snake but with swelling all of the sudden and such seems suspicious.. treatment mentioned sure wont hurt. I would give a good check for lice too. They have been troublesome this year.

10. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Oh the poor baby, he does not look good. He looks stunted and wormy, mineral deficient.

The swelling looks to me like brisket edema, it's another spot that bottle jaw can show up, as you said he is anemic.

My first thought is just get him dewormed for any strongyles and coccidia, and copper bolus him.

Falling over happens when anemia is advanced, so does crying, the gut damage barberpole and other worms cause it's extremely painful.

You need to stop the internal hemorrhaging, so give him cayenne every hour. Mix 1/2 tsp of cayenne with a little molasses and water every time.

I am sorry but I have to ignore your "negative fecals" because I don't know if you are using the correct method, and the goat looks heavily wormy.

SalteyLove and happybleats like this.
  11. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
  12. Chloe1233

Sep 26, 2017
    I used Sulfadimethoxine 40% for 5 days. I also dewormed with valbazen and Equimax the 2nd day of having diarrhea. I did another fecal today and it is negative. I do at home fecals, the same way I do then at my workplace, with the same materials, except that microscope is a couple thousand dollars more expensive then my microscope.

13. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Chloe - I really would buckle down and get the vet involved. This little guy needs some professional advice. We are doing the best as we can online, but something is definitely going on with him.

14. Chloe1233

Sep 26, 2017
    He is going to the vet this afternoon

15. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Do you have any ponds, standing water, wet pasture, any snails? Could be flukes. They appear as barberpole symptoms but won’t show up on fecals.

Valbazen will treat adults, you do need three treatments 10 days apart, though.

When you say negative, do you mean 0? It is extremely, extremely rare to have multiple fecals that all say 0. It usually just means they aren’t dropping eggs.

I agree there’s no reason not to get a vet involved

If still anemic I’d ask a vet about a blood transfusion

16. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Let us know what the vet says, poor baby. :(

17. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    How is the little guy? Did the vet have some answers for you?

MadHouse likes this.
  18. Chloe1233

Sep 26, 2017
    There are no ponds or standing water in their pasture and I’ve never seen a snail in or around their pasture. All 3 fecals had 0 eggs. Which the 2/3 may not show any because I gave the dewormer. This buck has had low egg counts,less than 10, but when I run a fecal 1 month later the numbers will be lower.

19. Chloe1233

Sep 26, 2017
    His appointment got moved to tomorrow morning. He is more energetic today.still eating and drinking great and poop is normal pellets and urine output is normal. His temp has also been in the normal range all day

20. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    I'm glad he's feeling better!
    Let us know what the vet says tomorrow please.