The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(The first part is just me ranting skip to the bottom for real question and summary)

I've decided to never go on vacation again!!! We left for about a week and a half and i had two different people that were supposed to check on the animals every day. This was all they had to do...make sure the horses were ok they were in the pasture and had a hay bail under their shelter with and an automatic waterer... the chickens had an automatic waterer and feeder except the feeder had to be filled up every about 4 days and had shelter ....and the dog needed food put out but he has a huge bowl that one fill up could last a few days and a giant kiddie pool thing with water in case he got hot...and lastly the goats who were in a new big field with hay under the shelter and a water tub and i told them they could give them a little feed if they started looking bad but half my goats aren't even on feed so i decided a week without feed will be ok.....so all they had to do was make sure everything had water and food, easy
..but no one of the smarty pants people didnt think the goats should have accesses to hay at all times because they thought they would over eat and it wasn't good for them so they blocked off their barn so they couldn't go in even though i told them what to do. So you can see why I was so mad when i came home they only lost a tiny bit of weight you can't really tell but the bad thing is it rained so the barn was shut and they couldn't get out of the weather except for a little shed thing we have that cant hold them all...all my bigger goats are fine but one of my littler ones (6 months) was pushed and shoved out into the rain i guess
(Done with rant finally, sorry guys)

So ill sum it up, i left 6 month old twin does that were big, growing and healthy and the same size to go on vacation and the people i got to take care of them didnt do their job and one is now alot smaller and has scours. What should i do to help get her back to her previous form and healthy she has been wormed and i wormed her again when I got back just in case that was it. I've only been back two days should i put her by herself or would that stress her out and make her worse i could put her sister with her they are very close. Yesterday she acted fine personality wise skipping and jumping around but today she looks weaker and i really dont want to lose her please help anything i can do? Meds.? Feed? Prognosis?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Does she have a temp? You say you wormed her but have you had a fecal checked? Maybe it's coccidia brewing.......it also comes up after lots of rain.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ill post pics tomorrow its a big difference between the two and they used to be identical in size. i decided to post somthing again because it was going to the bottom of the page pretty fast.

·
Super Moderator
59,755 Posts
I would give her Probios and a B Complex shot. I would take her temp. Once you know her temp, you can go from there.

What exactly did you worm her with? How much? What is her weight?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No temp, and she's on medicated feed to prevent that if it helps but you might be right what should i do?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I would give her Probios and a B Complex shot. I would take her temp. Once you know her temp, you can go from there.

What exactly did you worm her with? How much? What is her weight?
You posted faster than I could! Lol! Agreed! I would give both no matter what.......is she eating?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gosh my luck as soon as i start getting answers i have to leave for church thank you all though ill just have to respond tonight sorry.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Gosh my luck as soon as i start getting answers i have to leave for church thank you all though ill just have to respond tonight sorry.
Ok keep us posted!

·
Super Moderator
59,755 Posts
You said you wormed her. What did you worm her with? How much? Her weight?

The stuff in feed is just a preventative. At this point, I would have a fecal done to include coccidia and see where she is.

Also, no grain. I would also give her electrolytes.

·
Registered
31,458 Posts
I agree with Karen...she needs a fecal done...off feed for now..hay only

Probios and B complex to start with...
get that fecal done and proper wormer...if she ends up having cocci..treat all the kids ...

here is a good electrolyte recipe she will love

A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it. Most of mine love this stuff unlike the electrolytes you buy..

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I came home early and its lightning outside but no rain so im going to wait and let it pass before i try to run out there if it dosent pass in a few min im going out anyway

She was ok today before i left she was just not as happy as she usually is. Im thinking she just has an upset tummy from being off her regular feed schedule. I've never had a sick goat at all and I've had them 6 years so i dont know symptoms of anything :( i have had them get upset Stomachs kinda like this before but i always had time to treat it and i have no idea how long she's had scours i haven't even seen her go its just on the back of her legs

unfortunately i live in the middle of nowhere and the nearest vet is at least an hours drive other than a few backyard horse vets that treat colic but they would have no idea about a goat :(

Ill try the electrolyte recipe thanks :)
any homemade stuff will be alot easier for me to treat her with for reasons I'd rather not discuss :(

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Also the part about no grain would it be ok to feed her pellet feed or would it be best to just stick to straight hay ?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok im going to check on her right now and there's no wifi out there so ill take pics then post them so you can see what im talking about weight wise.

·
Registered
31,458 Posts
pepto for runs
yogurt instead of probios
the electros to keep her hydrated
treat for the worms with out fecal..use a broad base wormer ..what do you have on hand??

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So i just went out and she bounded up to me like normal but look at these pics she's the white one with light colored spots on her head (honey) and her sister is the white one with dark patches (spice) they were both the same size

Not sure the breed they have a little bit of everything and that blood line seems to gain weight like milk goats if that matters

Terrestrial animal Tail Fur Soil

Terrestrial animal Snout Dog breed Plant Tail

Dog breed Wood Fawn Plant Tail

Head Eye White Dog breed Goat

You can't really tell much from the pics :(

And with the electrolyte thing im out of apple cider vinegar (of course :face palm: ) but i found some Gatorade and have heard some people use it for goats what do ya think?

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ill give her pepto
and of course when we picked up wormer someone talked me into getting cow wormer and give them 2 clicks just to change it up for a few months its safe guard will it work or should i go get the other ive been using (not sure what brand but its goat wormer from tractor supply) i will gladly make a trip back if i need to

1 - 20 of 35 Posts