Sick Auction Baby Buckling

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by KW Farms, May 5, 2009.

1. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    So my aunt sends me an email this evening saying she just got back from the auction (never a good idea for her to go) :roll: and a boy gave her a boer kid that doesn't look very good. She said he's underweight, weak, and just looks sick and has been crying pretty frequently. She said he is probably weaned by now and looks about 7 to 10 weeks. I haven't really dealt with this kind of thing so any ideas. I told her i'd ask you guys and then let her know what she should give him.

Oh, I also had her check gums and take his temperature. Said the gums are really light pinkish white, i'm guessing they're pale then, she can't take his temperature at the moment.

Anywho, let me know what you think, I don't know what to tell her. She seems to bring home the sick, "in need" animals whenever she goes to the auction. :roll:

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Well I'd start him on Cocci meds asap wether it be Albon, Sulmet, Corrid, ect.

I'd also worm him with Safeguard and ivermectin.

Some Nutridrench and a nice warm bottle if he will take it. I leave my bottle kids on the bottle forever.

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Sounds good to me Ashley :thumbup:

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am sorry she has a sick kid...... :(
    The kid might be crying out ......because of a new place ...new surroundings.....away from it's momma...... :(
    weaning for boer babies is usually 2.5 to 3 months old on average.......if the kid is thin .....it could be indication of worms.....or cocci ....also the gums do indicate a problem...the easiest way to know is ........take a fecal in.... to have it tested ...takes the guess work out.... and gets treatment processed faster......to get the kid better sooner.... :wink:
    the kid will need the 1st CD&T shot to then another in 21 to 28 days(booster).....temperature would be a good thing to check ....just to see..... if there is anything going on there.....maybe de-lice ....good luck...... :hug:

5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I would also give him a vit B injection

But yes, I agree with Ashley.

6. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Thanks for the quick replies guys...I will forward your responses to her.

7. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    And this is why I don't go to the auction houses. I'd want to bring all of the poor sick ones home with me to make them better :grouphug: I sure hope he gets better soon.

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    With Auctions..........it is risky ....but sometimes.... our hearts are bigger than the risks.... and we want so badly ...to help an animal in need.. :hug: ...I pray the little one will survive.....and have a long and healthy life..... :pray: :hug: