Sick Baby

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by GSFarm, Feb 6, 2008.

1. GSFarm

GSFarm New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Fairview, TN
    Matilda’s buckling, Poseidon, who was born with the bad back legs is sick, and I don’t know what’s wrong. He doesn’t leave the barn unless I take him out and he doesn’t play at all. Yesterday when I got home I went out and found his nose covered with snot so he couldn’t breathe well at all. I cleared it out and he fell asleep. He’s very weak and I gave him some Nutri-Drench before school. Any ideas on what could be wrong? What are the symptoms of Navel ill or floppy kid syndrome?

2. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    When you talked about him being inactive before I was concerned. He is likly developing pnumonia due to being inactive and or inhailing fluid at birth. Get a rectal temp on the little guy and listen to his lungs with a stetascope. If he were here he would get a shot of Bio-mycin
    200 and I would try a bottle of electrolites to get fluid in him or use a syringe with the needle removed to get some fluid in him. At this point you need to move quick with treatment as they go down hill fast. Being inactive he is likly not nursing as much as he needs also.

3. GSFarm

GSFarm New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Fairview, TN
    I'm at school now but I'll be home soon. I'll do it the second I get home. No one is there now

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Good Luck. I totally agree with Teresa. Have you seen him nurse lately? Is he dehydrated?
    Let us know when you get home.

5. GSFarm

GSFarm New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Fairview, TN
    Right now I’m sitting in English and I’m supposed to be writing a report, but I got my friend to text my brother to come pick me up. He’s on his way so I can take care of the baby

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    now thats dedication for ya! don't get bad grades now girlie.

7. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    If only I could do that when my animals needed me.

8. GSFarm

GSFarm New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Fairview, TN
    You don't have to worry about that :) I haven't made a B since the 4th grade.

Turns out my brother misunderstood me and thought I asked him to pick me up AFTER school, but he had to go to work. My phone was dead and he didn't know so he kept texting, asking me if I needed to get picked up. After school my best friend and I begged her bus driver to let me ride to her house because it would be quicker than riding my bus to my house (long story). We met up with a friend who lived in the neighborhood behind my house. We cut through his backyard and had to follow the creek to my house. We actually got there about 15 minutes before my own bus!

My best friend Sami grabbed Poseidon and took him to the house while I got his medicine.

He's doing better than I expected, for sure. I gave him BioMycin and vitamins. I gave him so milk with Probios in it. Today was the first day I've ever seen him actually play!! He jumped on the couch and was hopping ALL over the house. I don't want to get my hopes up and I'm still a little concerned with his breathing. It's not raspy, but it's fast. Pray for him please.

Thanks!

Also anything else I can do

9. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    I am glad to hear he is starting to feel better!!

10. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    Get a temp on him so you have a baseline and know if he has a fever or low temp. sounds like he isnt eating enough and possible pnumonia.

11. GSFarm

GSFarm New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Fairview, TN
    He's down with his mom now. When first put him down there he ate for a while and played with his sister and then went in the barn with his mom. I'll get his temp in the morning.

12. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Glad to here the little one is feeling better but still watch him closely.

13. GSFarm

GSFarm New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Fairview, TN
    Oh definetly. I was wondering how often he will need shots? I was thinking on in the morning and one at night. Also I give him a Vitamin B shot can I mix the Bio-Mycin and VB and inject it all at once? I wasn't sure if I could.

14. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    The bio-mycin is just one shot a day. I do not mix what I am injecting so not sure on that one. Not really sure he would need more than one vit b shot anyway.

15. GSFarm

GSFarm New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Fairview, TN
    His breathing is almost back to normal now. When I came in after school I found him in the barn playing. Another buckling came in and they were hopping all over each other. I'll continue his shots every morning minus the Vitamin B til he's alright.

16. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    Way to go Sarah, what a good goat grandma you are.

17. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    That's good to hear he is better :)

18. GSFarm

GSFarm New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Fairview, TN
    Thanks guys.

Today I went out and couldn't find him in the barn. I went to where the babies were sleeping under the tree. not ther either. I kept looking out in the pen and found him bouncing around behind the doe's playground area!! This is the first time he's ever been out of the barn without me carrying him! AND HE WAS PLAYING WHILE THE OTHERS WERE SLEEPING!! His breathing is great and he ran over to his mother to eat after he started climbing all over me. He's doing amazing and I can't even believe it.

19. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    :cool: Way to go Sara!!!!! I am so glad to hear that the little guy pulled through!! Great job!!!

20. LiddleGoteGurl

LiddleGoteGurl New Member

Nov 29, 2007
    WI
    Oh that is so wonderful Sara!!! Good job! I am so glad he is doing great.