Sick baby

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Di, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    OK, one of Carly's doelings has runny poo. Her temp is OK, I think, 102.6. I've started her on cocci med. She's straining to poo, then it comes out really runny. I saw her nurse, and her sister is fine. Gave them some gatorade, she really liked that. Then she laid down in the sun. Gave a little selenium/E gel, she had some pepto last night. I'd take a stool sample into the vet...but can they tell anything from this runny stuff? What else should I do? Thanks!

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Di how old is this baby? Is she nursing off mom only?

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yes do take a stool sample to the vet - get as clean sample as possible.

4. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    They're about 5 weeks old (Nigerians). Yep, still nursing, but they are eating grass/alfalfa hay. They eat a little grass, but not much is growing in the "nursery". I gave her a tiny bit of Kayopectate, per Vet's advice. She's just laying around in the sunshine, she did eat some grass hay I just put out, but then she walked away and laid down again. She'll get up if I encourage her. Poor baby. :sigh:

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    What I have done is take a plastic baggie, turn it inside out, and wipe the fresh stuff off their butt, then turn the baggie right side out and seal it up and take it right to the vet. I would not waste time because if it is Cocci, it kills fast. Keep us posted.

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I have to agree with everyone.....let us know what the stool sample comes up with... :wink:

7. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    OK, I'll get this to the Vet right away.

8. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Good Luck. let us know.

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  10. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Well, of course, the person who does the fecals is off today, will be back to work tomorrow, so I couldn't get the test done today. :shrug:

But, she's looking a little better this afternoon. I'll keep treating her and hope I get it under control.

11. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    that is a bummer that the person isn't in today..... :(

But ...I am so happy ...that the baby is doing better...that is a good sign........ :wink: :greengrin:

12. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    Just keep her hydrated, :pray: :pray: it'll be ok

13. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Ok, got the diagnosis, Cocci :hair: So, I was already treating the sick baby, and her sister. And, I just went ahead and treated all the kids. First babies are already feeling better I think. They are eating and nursing, and they ran over to me for their hugs today. Yesterday I had to go to them. I think we caught it in time. :hi5: Thanks all for the advice!

14. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh so glad you know what it is. Good luck on treating everyone :)

15. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    Is it just me or has Cocci been bad this year?

16. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    no....you are not alone ......cocci is out there alot this year..... :shrug:

I am so happy... you started treatment quickly....and now...you know what it is......congrats on the babies doing better.....great job... :greengrin: :wink:

17. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    It does seem like it's been a bad year. We had one doe kid we purchased when we first got our goats that had it when we got her (and she traveled here by auto from NM). No problems with it last year. But, I'm going on a preventative schedule now. I was pretty freaked when Lyrae died from it. Thank you Toth, but I'm feeling like a bad goat mommy right now, barns getting a good cleaning this weekend for sure.

18. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    your welcome....but "you".... by no means...are a bad goat mommy....we all have our problems with the goats.....and no matter what we do we manage to get sick kids here and there.....But yes.....this year is super bad for cocci....and I do not understand why......... :wink: :hug:

19. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma

20. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    yea crissa ....with no scouring ...that was a big shock ....it was cocci :shocked: :(