Sick baby

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by crocee, Apr 15, 2010.

1. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Sundae, one of our 3 1/2 month old LaBoers is sick. Bad case of pneumonia. She started coughing last night and got worse today. By the time I got her to the vet her temp was 105. The vet gave her a 3cc shot of Nuflor and 1/2 cc of Banamine. He sent me home with another 3cc syringe of Nuflor to be given on Saturday. He told me this would be a rough time and if we can get her through the next 5 days she would be out of the woods. She seemed to feel better later this evening and was challenging one of the smaller does and running around like normal. I will be keeping an eye on her tonight. Is there anything else I need to do? I am going to try to talk him into selling me a bottle of Nuflor since this is the second case of pneumonia we have had. It seems to be running through the herd? After we get this all cleared up they will all be getting a pasturella vax.

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Some Vet RX, probios, and some nutridrench will help. :)

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    You have a very good vet there...that is exactly what our vet told us to use years ago.. if you ask they should sell you both of them individually in a bottle...
    just tell them how much you need........my vet does it for us...just before we run out we order some more always have it in stock....... :thumb:
    Those 2 drugs are miracle drugs and work really fast.. I have found.. that if I give it to the goat in the morning ...that by the evening ...the goat is showing improvement and eating..... the banamine takes the temp down and boosts appetite..... the neat part is ..usually the banamine is needed 1 time....can be given every 36 hours..... unless suggested differently... by your vet...

When nuflor is given... it is less shots than the normal antibiotics...it's given every other day.....just given twice.........unless the goat was really down then.. I would hit them again...one extra skip a day for GP..... It is good to have on hand and with the weather changing hot ...cold ........you will have it in hand and can give it to them immediately....

From past experiences with using those 2 drugs on my goats young and old for pneumonia....I have had major success with no losses....so it is looking great for your goatie..... :hug: :greengrin:

Keep her in a warm and dry area until she is better...if the weather is cold....
    make sure she has free choice hay...at all time Alfalfa is a great one to help keep her warm is is packed with nutrients..... good luck... :hug:

4. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    I have all those so I can start giving them. When I brought her back home and set her down, she ran straight to mama for a drink. Hopefully I caught it in time that it doesn't cause any damage.

They have free choice hay at all times but not the alfalfa.

Thanks for the information on the 2 meds. I was concerned about the every other day dose and only 2 doses.

He listened to her lungs and said there was a lot of fluid in them. This was the first time I actually had to take one of the goats in. Usually I just call and then go pick up the meds. I was worried about her being so young and coughing so much. I begged the vet to wait for me as he was supposed to leave in 15 inutes from when I called. I live 15 miles from the vet and there was no way I could get the crate in the truck, catch her and load, plus drive the 15 miles in 15 minutes. I just knew she needed more than what I had on hand here.

5. kornhypknotic

kornhypknotic New Member

May 14, 2009
    Waco, TX
    Poor baby! I had pneumonia twice . . . it's really sucky feeling :tears:

You can try setting her up next to a human humidifier (if she's feeling better she will not stay put, but you can try it :p) and that should help her breathe better and help break up any mucus in her lungs. Cool-mist humidifiers would be safer than the warm mist ones (those get HOT! :veryangry: I have burned myself more times than I'd like to admit just by walking by those things). They can be purchased at any walmart or walgreens.

You are doing everything right at this point. Sounds like a wonderful vet, especially since he waited for you . . . lots of vets wont do that. He's a keeper for sure! :thumb:

Keep the baby warm, but not warm enough that her fever spikes . . . just make sure she doesn't go subnormal during the night (if it still gets cold at night where you are . . . it's in the 80's down here already :GAAH: ).

Did the vet think that it was a viral or bacterial pneumonia? It can be idiopathic (which means they don't know what caused it) or non-contagieous, so I'm just wondering how closely you should watch the others. You might think about isolating her. If you think that it would stress her out too much then don't do it. We don't want to lose her just because she's lonely.

Good luck! Please keep us updated! :hug:

6. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    She is doing much better this morning. She was running around, jumping, playing and just being a baby goat. I am on watch to see if any others get it. I didn't isolate her because she likes to be with her mother and sister. Both babies still nurse so the isolation would have been really stressful for her. I thought it better tto keep her with her pen mates even if I have to treat the others.

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Glad she is better... :thumb: I didn't think pneumonia was catching.. :scratch:
    When my babies or mom's come down with it ...I don't separate them from the herd....and no one has gotten sick after them...I do however.. if it is cold weather...and they are not feeling well.. I put them in the barn.... :hug:

8. kornhypknotic

kornhypknotic New Member

May 14, 2009
    Waco, TX
    Awesome! I'm so glad she's feeling better! :hug: