Sick boer kid

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by billmac, Dec 9, 2010.

1. billmac

billmac Member

Sep 8, 2008
    One of my boer doelings, born in April, is sick. I noticed she was off her feed this morning and had her hind legs drawn in a little underneath her. She was mildly interested in her grain but not enough to jostle the other does for it. She was also mildly interested in her hay. She also shivered a little bit. There is a little stuff around her nose, but nothing out of the ordinary for barn animals in northern NY in December. She doesn't seem to be coughing or labored in her breathing. Her temp was 104.7.

I moved her, along with her mother and sister, into the center of the barn where there is less draft. I put a heat lamp shining down in the corner of the pen. I gave her 3 ml of Pen Aqueous subq (she is 45 lbs).

Is there anything else I should do? Anything I shouldn't have done?

Thanks

2. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I am so sorry your girl is sick.....watch her close, I just lost one of mine this morning and the more reading I do I think he had silent pneumonia.....it comes on fast and they are down before you realize......google the illness.....http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/artic ... l......she has a great article on it.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    PenG ....is 1cc per 20lbs but... you can also use ...1cc per 10lbs.... give every 12-24 hours....... for 5 to 7 days

for appetite..... give either........ banamine (also used to get temp down) or vit B complex shot.... other than that.... you are doing the right thing..... by keeping her in a warm area.... :hug:

4. billmac

billmac Member

Sep 8, 2008
    She's still off, but not too bad. I'm afraid I botched her evening injection and didn't have the heart to retry it, but I'll give it to her in the morning.

It is brutally cold here, so I brought her inside and put her in our dog kennel with grain, hay and water. She's nibbling both. She's not staggering or weak. Just not perky. I'll take her temp again in the AM.

5. billmac

billmac Member

Sep 8, 2008
    She spent the night inside. Temp is 103.2 this morning. She's nibbling and she drank some water. The 18 guage needle for pen aqueous is making me look like a bumbler. I've given plenty of shots but I've botched her penicillin injection twice. At first I thought I was going all the way through, but I actually think I'm not penetrating far enough. I think she got some this morning but a lot spilled out. Can I use a smaller needle?

6. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I have used a 22 gauge for penn with no problems.....after I draw it up I rub the syringe between my hands to help warm it up....my vet showed me this.

7. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yes.... you can use a smaller needle... and do as Denise mentioned...warming it up a little in your hands ...makes it go through the syringe easier.....

botching shots.... we all have done it.... just take your time... and pull back that syringe.... to check to see... if you are not getting any blood in the syringe....
    I myself .....have had the needle pop off.... had the needle go all the way through to the skin.....and just spray... all over the goat or to the ground....... and...to this day... I still... once in a while... mess up...LOL.... :doh: but.... I do it again....and again... if I have to............ to get that shot......of course... having to find another injection spot ...each time... into the goat.... making it a pin cushion ..... :roll: :wink:

8. Myakkagoater

Myakkagoater New Member

Apr 10, 2010
    It seems that if I rub where the injection is going to be kinda light at first them harder and harder up until the point of injection the gots don't seem to flinch at first. Then after I give it I rub the areas around it lightly for just a bit. I don't know if this helps the goats but it seems to make it easier to give the injection for me. It seems to help. maybe??

Tom

9. billmac

billmac Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Re: Sick boer kid: Update

She's back in the barn and doing better. She's still a bit off. She seems to be holding her hind legs drawn in a little underneath herself. Otherwise, she seems to be eating and drinking fine. Her stool seems ok. I'm not sure what else I should check, or do for her other than keep an eye on her.

10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    can she walk OK or is she stumbling ?

11. billmac

billmac Member

Sep 8, 2008
    She's walking fine.

12. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Is she drinking plenty? I am so sensitive to this right now after loosing one this week......I really think he ultimatly died from dehydration.......I have been told after my loss, that a dehydrated goat is a dead goat no matter what you do for them or the amounts of meds you give them. Have you offered her some warm water? even may add some molasses or koolaid to entice her.

Keep an eye on her temp....my guys went down instead of up as he was failing.

Dependig on where you gave her the injections, she maybe sore from them and that's why she is holding her legs funny.

13. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    All great advice...the posture she has is typical for a goat thats ill, all hunched up and puffed out? If she's eating and drinking, check her gut for rumen sounds and movement, a dose of probiotic paste or even powder on a bit of grain will help. Also, if she seems to be up and down, not getting comfortable, she may have a bellyache, try a bit of pepto bismol as that will help, even though we mainly use it to stop diarrhea, it will coat her digestive tract enough to ease any discomfort. As Denise said, adding a bit of molasses to warm water will entice her to drink and you'll know she's hydrated enough.

14. billmac

billmac Member

Sep 8, 2008
    She seems pretty well today. We gave her one more penicillin injection and we'll keep an eye on her. Thanks for all the advice.

15. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    NP....glad to help....glad she is doing OK.... :hug: