Sick buck

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by K-Ro, Oct 18, 2009.

1. K-Ro

K-Ro New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Texas
    Went out to feed this morning and found my buck, Sketchy, sick. He acted like he was straining to urinate, he did this a couple times. Has very watery green diarrhea, not black, no blood, just green on his rearend, when I was out there he actuallly had some clear water coming out.

No temp. Moving slow, laying down, etc., well how we act when we are sick.,

I gave him ACV and within 4-6 minutes he urinated a little bit. Also gave him 4cc of pepto for diarrhea.

He feels so bad that I could hold him with one arm wrapped around his neck to give the second syringe of AVC and he was not a happy guy.

I am wondering if I didn't do this to him. He always gets a little bit of grain (I mix my own which includes alfalfa pellets in it), I just added alfalfa hay last week, not a lot but a little morning and evening - just a couple handfuls. Could this be it?

Anything else I need to look for or do for him?

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    A little Alfalfa isn't going to cause urinary stones. I know a couple breeders up here who feed a fair amount of alfalfa to their bucks. Do you have any ammonium chloride? That would be better than ACV, but I don't really think stones is the issue. I would guess he is straining to poo. Could he have gotten into anything poisonous?

With the way he is acting I would get him to a vet asap, if you can.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    the straining happends sometimes when the poo is so watery like that.

Since you have seen him urinate I am not thinking UC

I would give him much more pepto then that (I give 4ccs to my little ones and i have Nigerians)

I am thinking something like worms or cocci -- how does it smell? I have seen cocci diarrhea in all kinds of colors I now only go by smell as opposed to color

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with the others.....

Maybe get a fecal done.....it will tell you for sure ...if he has worms or cocci......and then you will know how to treat .. :hug:

Maybe give him some probiotic paste and baking soda... to get his stomach back in shape.....if the scours are caused by "rich Alfalfa".... it will help along with the pepto.....
    If your Alfalfa is really leafy green...it can cause scours ...it is called ...hot feed.....it must be fed.... in smaller amounts .....then regular Steamy Alfalfa.......especially when... the animal is just started on it.... :wink:

5. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    hope he recovers good advice here

6. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I agree with getting the fecal done. It sounds like a worm or cocci overload. or maybe he ate too much rich food. Try feeding him some cooked plain oatmeal and local grass hay. offer him some warm water and make sure he doesnt get dehydrated. It can happen quick when they get the runs. Along with the peto he is going to need some easy on the tummy food in his stomach to firm up the poop.
    beth

7. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Hows he doing?
    beth