The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 10 week old buckling has been acting off for about 3 weeks. He lays around a lot and seems to have no appetite. He was wormed 18 days ago. He is dam raised and not weaned yet. He nibbles on some grain, but doesn't hardly eat any of it. No fever, poops and pees fine. However, every so often, he hunches up and brings his back legs up to his front legs like a dog squatting. His anus also twitches a lot. I figure it is gut pain, but not sure why. Could he have kidney stones this early in life without being weaned, castrated or on much grain?
I have given him nutri-drench, he has minerals, and baking soda free choice. He does nibble on the baking soda occasionally.

·
Registered
30,548 Posts
At ten weeks old I would think what you are seeing is him trying to pee on himself. Tiss the season for rut...and he is old enough...
Hows his condition? Fat, thin, just right? coat glossy and smooth or wooly and coarse? lower inner eye ids bright pink to red or pale..??
Have you had a fecal done to see your wormer is working?

·
I'm watching you
22,256 Posts
Yep. it sounds like he trying to extend.
After 3 weeks, a boy with UC would no longer be alive. Free choice baking soda can cause stones by throwing off the bodies PH.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, he is losing weight, the fecals only showed 4 worms total. When he hunches, he appears to be in pain, he draws his face back and strains. No penis coming out, no urine.
his eyelids are good. He just lies around, very sleepy. Stays off by himself.

·
Registered
30,548 Posts
Really sounds like hes comingin rut..My boys will pull their head back and sometimes curl the top lip...the penis doesnt always come out...its a learning process..At 10 weeks his mom is feeding him less and less..and his milk belly maybe shrinking. You could give Vit. B complex injected to stimulate his appitite and energy...Doe she have other kids to play with? he should be active, playful but also grazing most the time
I would also keep a watch on his temp..be sure it stay normal..if tis hot he will eat andplay less as well..

·
Registered
30,548 Posts
If he seems bloated, give him 1/4 teaspoon Baking soda in enough water to drench..then message his left side like crazy...walk and bouce him until you hear a burp of back end noise..

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He has a twin brother. He is gaining like crazy and very playful. This one (Lightning) is not. He has no interest in playing. I have been taking his temp regularly. Never elevated at all. I will give him the b complex. What is the dose for Durvet high level b complex?

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
10 weeks I think is a little to young for rut. Ok a fecal was done, so my first thought is out. I was thinking Cocci. Have you taken his temp? Check that and let us know.

If he is peeing fine it is not UC. Poop is fine to loose? I would give him some Probiotic and electrolyte water.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes his temp is always right around 102. His poop is good. Berries. No cocci either, vet checked all mine for that when another goat was sick two weeks ago. She had pneumonia.

·
Registered
30,548 Posts
My boys are practicing rut already and have been since a 6-8 weeks old...they wont come in full rut...but def. try peeing on themselves...

Tape worm will stunt growth as well....white wormers like Valbazen and safe guard work on Tape...worms drop eggs in cycles...since you do your own fecal (which is great BTW) then I would do a fecal a few times, 3 days apart..just to be sure..
http://goat-link.com/content/view/72/#.UdRKFz6DTL8
However, Cocci is the number one reason for slow growth rate and would account for the actions that look likehis tummy hurts and the bloated look he is having...I would treat even though fecals come out clean..It wont hurt to do so...I like Baycox and for a bit more they will ship it quick..horseprerace.com is where I order from. I buy the 200 ML bottle..Or use Dimethox or Sulmet..

other ideas per Tennesseemeatgoats
Manganese: Slow growth rates in kids (especially buck kids), reduced fertility and abortions in does, improperly formed legs, and difficulty in walking are general signs of manganese deficiency. Too much calcium interferes with manganese absorption.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Actually the vet did the fecals for me. I haven't jumped into that yet. Maybe this fall I will purchase a microscope and start...

We do have a ton of manganese in our water...though the goats get filtered water from our house. I will have it checked in case our filtration system is not working.

I think I will treat for cocci also.

Thanks!

·
Registered
30,548 Posts
I think treating for cocci is a good idea...hopefully its all he needs :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts