Sick Buckling

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by strothergoats, Apr 14, 2008.

1. strothergoats

strothergoats Guest

Nov 22, 2007
    I have a buckling who is 5 weeks old. 4days ago, started with diarrhea, got really bad, to the point of it being like water and squirting out. Day before I treated with banamine, c&d antitoxin, b12, penicillin orally. Diarrhea got some consistency to it but not gone. Next day did pepto, and all the above again. He seemed ok, not hunched, tail up and walking around with others. Yesterday he stopped eating, only took 6 oz in the morning and 3 oz last night. This morning still not eating, tried to force some pepto with the dimethox in it but only got about 3 cc in him. I have him in the house under a heat lamp as it was in the 40's here and he was cold. I was hoping that by raising his body temp he might eat. Any suggestions? I know if something doesnt turn around I will lose him.

Thanks
    Lori

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    does the diarreah smell? what color is it?

He is old enough for it to be cocci, what do you have on hadn to treat that? I like Albon or Sulmet

3. strothergoats

strothergoats Guest

Nov 22, 2007
    Yes it smells..........it was green, then lighter now dark as I have been giving pepto.

I am using dimethox.

Lori

4. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I am going to go with cocci then.

Since you are treating him for that I don't have much more to add to it.

I really hope he pulls through quickly for you

5. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    Make sure you have an accurate weight on him and are dosing him high enough for the dimetox to work or it won't do any good.

6. strothergoats

strothergoats Guest

Nov 22, 2007
    He drank 7oz this morning and is being treated with dimethox. So hopefully he is coming around.

Lori

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    every bit of improvement is great to hear

8. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    That is good to hear he is doing better, hold off on any B till a day or two after you are finished with the cocci treatment. Cocci thrive on B vitamins(esp thiamin)

9. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    He is definately not going to be up to eating a whole lot, but I would make sure that he stays hydrated, it does sound as though he is improving..it will take a few days before he is himself again, I hope the dimethox does the job. My little doe was just recently diagnosed and treated a week ago, she is ALOT better now though a bit lighter...she started out at 11lbs on Wednesday and is now 8#, this "condition" takes alot out of them and please, if possible be sure to pick up any poo other kids may come in contact with..just as a preventive measure.

Glad he is responding to your treatment, it's gonna get better each day. :)