sick buckling

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by goatmama, Apr 9, 2010.

1. goatmama

goatmama New Member

Mar 23, 2010
    I went to the barn this morning to check on Dixie and the four kids and one little buckling was stretched out, close to death. Dixie had five kids, the fifth stillborn. The first is probably two and a half pounds the other three about a pound. It got below freezing last night. This little buck likes to lie down away from everyone, so he didn't get heat from everyone else. I brought him in and rubbed and rubbed, then I put milk in a syringe and put down him. He is stronger now, but I know I'm not out of the woods yet. I have him in a little plastic pan, wrapped in a towel to keep him warm. I diluted some colostrum in milk and have been trying to get some of that down him. I did give Bose to all kids yesterday. Is there anything else that I should be doing? I noticed he has mites, can I do anything to rid all of them of that pest?
    I'm going to move Mom and the kids to a small barn where I can hang a heat lamp.
    I would appreciate any help on this. Thanks

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Make sure temps are above 99 before giving milk. 100 is better.

You can give them some Whiskey, Karo(or molasses), Coffee mixture to warm them up. Mix the three things together in equal parts and give 1-2cc's of it.

3. kornhypknotic

kornhypknotic New Member

May 14, 2009
    Waco, TX
    I wouldn't worry about the mites until he's walking around and complaining about them. Unless he is overwhelmed with them, then that might be more of the cause of his problem. We can talk about it then, but for now let's get him warm again!

Does he have diarrhea or is he just cold? Check his temp to see how hard you have to work on warming him up. If he's 99F or below then just wrapping him in blankets will not help because he can no longer produce body heat on his own.

Heat up the towels in the microwave for about 30 seconds, add hot water bottles, heating pads, and your heat lamp to get him back to at least 100F and ideally 102F.

Give him some warmed molasses and nutridrench if you have any. That will give his body some sugar . . . the catch is that his body will be unable to use the sugar if he's too cold so focus all your attention on getting him warm asap. After he's 100F then start giving him molasses and nutridrench. Try some warm milk too if he will take it. Electrolytes would be good too.

Let us know how he's doing! I'll be thinking about you two

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with the others....get the temp up first.... another method to warm the kid up.... you can put him in a plastic bag ...with his head out of course and submerge him... into a tub of warm water...that way he won't get wet..... hold on to him and keep the bath water temp up ...not to hot though....you may have to refresh the water... with new warm water ...as it will cool down.... If you use a heating pad... be very careful... that it don't burn him or get to hot.... Good luck .... :hug:

5. goatmama

goatmama New Member

Mar 23, 2010
    Oh man, I wish I would've gotten your responses sooner. This is what I did. I brought him in and rubbed and rubbed to get his circulation going. I would not let him lie down, I just kept stimulating him. I did give him warm milk with a syringe adding some colostrum to it. I made a coat from a wash cloth and wrapped him in that and then wrapped him in towels. I just put him under a heat lamp about an hour ago. He has responded well and stands on his own now. I just fed him a minute ago, again milk with colostrum in it. I tried taking him out to Mom a while ago, but she will not let him nurse. I'm hoping once he is stronger, I can re-introduce him to Mom.
    Should I give him some molasses now, or do you think he will be okay? I hope I did not mess things up by giving him milk.

Oh, no diarrea.

6. goatmama

goatmama New Member

Mar 23, 2010
    Well, I've got my little buckling back with his Mama. He is doing good. He's nursing his mom, but I'm supplementing with a bottle too. I am supplementing the three tiny ones, just to make sure they are getting enough.
    I really appreciate all the advise that I've received from all of you. I will keep all of it in my notes for future use.

7. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Oh that is wonderful news.... :hug: :greengrin: we are here for you.... keep us updated.... :hug:

8. kornhypknotic

kornhypknotic New Member

May 14, 2009
    Waco, TX
    That's fantastic, goatmama!!! :leap: I was really worried for the little guy!

It sounds like you did everything right! All the rubbing you did brought his body temperature back up and since his body was not compromised by infection the blankets and heating pad was all he needed to get him back on track! The warm milk/colostrum probably helped get his tummy warm thereby warming his vital organs faster too! BRILLIANT!! :stars:

9. goatmama

goatmama New Member

Mar 23, 2010
    I have to say that I'm am truly blessed that my little boy is still with us. I named him "Lucky". He is doing well, and eating well. Thank you all for your support during this time. I'll keep you up to date.

10. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    just wondering why you diluted the colostrum with milk?

if he is 48 hrs or under, just feed the straight colostrum. if he's older than that, just milk

11. goatmama

goatmama New Member

Mar 23, 2010
    The reason I diluted the colostrum with milk is because it is a paste and he was too weak to get it down. It made it easier to feed it to him with a syringe.

He is vibrant and doing well today. I'm just so thankful that he pulled through.

On a sad note, I lost the tiny doeling this morning. I really don't know what happened. She was fine yesterday then last night I noticed that she seemed like she wasn't feeling real well. Like she was cold. Her lips were cold and her tail was down. I was going to bring her to the house last night, but my husband kept saying she was okay. (I'm not listening to him anymore) I told him that for now on, I'm listening to my gut. When I get a gut feeling, I'm normally right. Anyway, I fed her and when I went out this morning, she was down. I brought her in the house, but my gut told me that it was too late. I tried anyway, but within an hour, she was gone. It is so frustrating! When they are that tiny, it's hard to know what I did right or wrong. Dixie doesn't seem to pay much attention to the tiny ones, she seems to only be interested in the vibrant bigger one.
    Do you think that I should take the two little ones away from her and bottle raise them? I worry that Dixie and the bigger one are not able to be outside getting fresh air because I have them in a closed building with a wooden floor. I put them there so I could put a heat lamp over the tiny ones because it's been getting so cold at night.
    I'd appreciate any advise at this point. Thanks everyone.

12. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    First of all, congratulations on saving Lucky, lets just hope he keeps going that way, as for the little girl I am sorry you lost her but you are correct, listen to you gut. If they are at ALL off from when you normally see them, yes take them in.

The first thing you need to do before you do anything (unless you are sure, is get a temp), you have to know if the body temp is going own, you need to know and warm them up just like you did.
    Another way or warming them up is need be is fill a sock with rice, tie it off and put it in the Microwave, heat it up. It stays warm for a long time, but be careful, I have gotten them so hot I had to wrap it in a blanket and I lay it across their chest, like between their legs, so it goes from under their chin between the legs and out. It is the closest way to warm the blood to the heart. Take towels put them in the dryer, get them good and warm and wrap them around the baby. Please do not feed the baby until its temp is 100 or above. They can not digest it and it will sit in their tummy.

As for bottle feeding the others, I am not a expert on that but If it was my I would let mom take care of them now and still offer them bottles like you are to help mom out.

Does she have lots of milk? Give her Molasses water warm as much as she would like for as long ass he wants it, the more she drinks the more she will make milk. Make sure you up her grain slowly.

OK, now we need pictures ofthe babies. PLEASE.

13. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I totally agree with ...Lori ...great advice.... :thumb: :greengrin:

Glad the buckling is doing better. :) ..but I am so very sorry... about the doeling.... :hug: :(

14. goatmama

goatmama New Member

Mar 23, 2010
    After reading some of the posts out there, I ordered some Nutri-Drench. I'll never be without it now.
    Thanks for your help.
    Here's a picture, I will get some more soon. I've been so busy just trying to keep the little ones going.

Attached Files:

15. countrymom

countrymom New Member

Apr 1, 2010
    versailles, MO
    They are all so cute I'm so glad they are doing better!!!

16. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    given that you have now had two kids get weak and cold, to me thats an indication she is not managing to feed them all. Its not a problem with your doe's milk quantity or quality, its just well as you know goats only have two teats, and it takes a special mama to be able to rotate them. Many doe cant count and rotate - so they just stand and the babies have to fight for the teats. It makes it worse when they are different sizes because the big ones push the little ones out of the way and get all the milk, so they grow bigger ... its a nasty cycle.

so I would just leave her with two kids, the two biggest, and take the small one (Lucky I think) off to bottle feed.

I understand now, didnt realise you were using the colostrum paste, I thought you were using colostrum milked from the mum