The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
7,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I realize this site is for goats, but I know many of us own chickens as well. About a month ago I lost a bard rock chicken. It was hunched up in the morning and dead that night. No one else showed signs of being sick.

This morning a RIR was all hunched up, and looking sick, but then she took off to eat as normal. I let them out about 2 hours ago, and she could barely move. We are having a cold snap here, so I put hay in a box, put her in the box and brought her inside next to the fireplace. I then went outside to take care of my goats & sheep and put them in the barn for the night. I just gave her 12 ml of electrolytes (not sure how much a chicken should get) I really don't know what else to do, any suggestions? If she gets perky enough, I thought of giving her some warm oatmeal?

I know that it's a chicken, but if I can help her live, I would like too. My mom and neighbor think I'm bonkers for even trying, but I have too. Oh and it's not old age, she will be a year in February.

· Registered
630 Posts
Go to the website backyard chickens. It's a wonderful website and so many ppl there can help you! I also own chickens with my goats and they are the people to ask. Do it ASAP and save your chicken! Good luck

· Registered
1,860 Posts
I had a couple chickens act like that last year. After one died and the other 2 started acting the same way I gave a shot of tylan200 and they perked up after a few hours. Not sure exactly what was wrong but It worked.

· Super Moderator
36,704 Posts
Cayenne pepper seems to perk them up too....getting her warm and hydrated was a good idea....
couldbe worm load as well goingon...the cayenne helps with worm load..

here is a good video on giving a chicken a shot...its a bit funny too

· Registered
1,860 Posts
I give under the skin between the wings....kind of like between shoulders if they had some. Some people give in he breast muscle but I was too scared to try that way. I give 1/4 ml for bantams and 1/2 ml for standard.

· Registered
7,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, thank you HappyBleats for that link haha!! I saw that as soon as I looked up how to give a shot to a chicken... I think the chicken was on to something.. Hehe! Thank you too Erica, I did finally manage to find the muscle between the breast, and I gave a shot to a chicken, 1st time ever!! Live and learn:)

Cayenne Pepper HappyBleats, should I mix with electrolytes? I'm having to syringe her. She fought this last time. How much? I'm going to leave her alone in the box for a bit, and get some other stuff done.. Thanks all:)

· Registered
7,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, so far so good. She moved and clucks here and there. Gave her some electrolytes with cayenne pepper, offered her some warm oatmeal, but she said "no thanks"

Thank you! I hope she makes it:)

· Super Moderator
36,704 Posts
I mix a good amount in with my pumpkin seed smoothy I make for them lol..they gobble it up and do not feel the burn : ) just keep adding it tot he electrolytes...you can try pumpkin as well..even canned, just be sure its pure pumpkin, not pie mix...she just might eat that...they love it...
hope she does well for you...

· Registered
7,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, she isn't worse, but really no better either:( She is a little more alert though, do I'm guessing that's good. Do you think I need to bring her in a buddy? High is going to be a whopping 23 according to the weather forecast, so she will be staying in here today, but not sure if I should expose a buddy to her or not.

I'm going to try to get her to eat some warm oatmeal and some brewery grain, as soon as I go out there to mix with brewery grain. My kids are so spoiled... Goats and chickens, I take boiling water out there, rinse the brewery grain out there with the boiling water thus a warm meal:)

I'll drench with electrolytes to, with the Cayenne pepper, she's not eating at all on her own right now:( If she's no better by this evening I'll give her a another shot.

I'm wondering what this is??

· Super Moderator
36,704 Posts
I wouldnt bring in a buddy right now..like you said, dont want to expose another...I would continue to do what you are doing...its hard when you dont know whats wrong...all you can do is keep reading and treating...mayby something you read will shed soem light on whats going on

· Registered
7,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yay, she's ate some, and she is much more alert then before too. She poked her head up out of the box and is looking at me right now.. LOL. She's also sitting relaxed and not all hunched over, so I'm thinking that's good.

Yep won't bring her in a buddy, but trying to teach my doxin to "leave it" not going so good, so she's in my room:)

· Super Moderator
36,704 Posts
Cayenne pepper should help with cocci, from what I read, not sure how well it works..

· Registered
7,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I did a little reading and found that hunched over chicken is sometimes a sign of coccidia
I saw that too. I'm going to give her some GI Soother, that should take care of coccidia, some apple cider vinegar to get her cleaned out as well as cayenne pepper and drench her here in a few. She doesn't have any red poo though, it was normal, as she finally went. I'm going to keep trying....:)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.