The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Sunday I noticed that this hen's eyes were foamy so I brought her into the house and put her in a dog kennel. Yesterday I wiped the eyes and put Terramycin ointment in them. I noticed that her face was raw looking. This afternoon her comb looks like it is being eaten away. What in the world is going on? Here is a picture.
Pet supply Mesh Chicken coop Fence Galliformes

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried getting a better picture, but just can't get a good view. Her face looks raw and the comb is noticably smaller in the middle than it should be. Could this be fowl pox?

·
Registered
Breeding Quality Nigerian Dwarf Goats
1,139 Posts
You may get more replies if you make a thread on Back Yard Chickens. Sorry I can't help anymore.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How would you treat it? She doesn't have any respiratory symptoms. That was why I didn't think it was mycoplasma. But I have no experience treating sick chickens at all.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the information!! She's still the same. I have her isolated and treating eyes and comb with Neosporin. We'll see what happens.

·
Registered
322 Posts
On Sunday I noticed that this hen's eyes were foamy so I brought her into the house and put her in a dog kennel. Yesterday I wiped the eyes and put Terramycin ointment in them. I noticed that her face was raw looking. This afternoon her comb looks like it is being eaten away. What in the world is going on? Here is a picture. View attachment 213791
I'd bring that little lady to the vet ASAP. Last time we had a sick chicken, we thought we could handle it. When we finally took her in, it was too late. They were able to let her go home so I could say goodbye (all our chickens are pets, I don't just randomly do this to chickens :ROFLMAO:), and she died a few days later. Don't let the same happen, bring her to the vet before it's too late

·
Registered
374 Posts
Are you attached to her? Our stance is that we can't afford to invest a lot of money and time in a hard-to-treat or dangerous condition with chickens. With some things, we'll isolate and do an initial treatment and if it's not helping, then we make a quick decision to usually cull. We've had too many die after long, loving, fussy care.

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
Here our pigeons get a similar desease and pass it on to the chickens. Unfortunately because it moves quickly we normally cull and start fresh. Like little Heathens it is expensive to treat a chicken

1 - 12 of 12 Posts