sick doe kid

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by jBlaze, Oct 21, 2007.

1. jBlaze

jBlaze Guest

Oct 9, 2007
    I have a 3 1/2 month old doe kid, usually very healthy, still nursing dam, has a wethered twin that is fine. Her temp is 105.5 I gave her 2cc of LA 200. Her nose has some thick greenish discharce sometimes. She is very pitiful. We put her and dam in a pen so no wind. No one else is sick.
    Any ideas what / why she is sick, or how I should treat?
    Thanks.

2. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Are there any other symptoms? Is she breathing hard? Whats her poo like? What color are her eyelids? IS she just off? Is she eating hay and grain and drinking?
    I'd also give her a shot of B complex, that's for energy.

3. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    i would give her the vit b complexe & also some nutra drench if you have it. if she hasen't had her shots you could also give her 2cc of c&d anti toxin orally. none of the above will hurt her.

4. jBlaze

jBlaze Guest

Oct 9, 2007
    What B complex do I give and how much? I have never used it before, never one so pitiful. She is not nursing as much, and not interested in grain, yesterday ehe was eating hay, not sure about so far today, not when I was out there last, 2 hours ago, she may have eaten before I went out. (daughter did chores.) Her butt is not messy, and have not seen any soft stool.
    What else should I do for her?

5. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    if you have fortified b complex that would be best. give her 2cc. she will just pee out what she dosen't need
    i would take her temp again. make sure she is getting fluids some how so she dosen't dehydrate. if you have probios i would give her some of that also. if her fever is still up you need to try to get it down. do you have any banimine? that would bring down the fever. as little as she is i would only give half cc of banimine.

6. jBlaze

jBlaze Guest

Oct 9, 2007
    I will keep at it amd let you know later how things are going. Hubby went to get B vitamen. I have banamine and probios of some sort, not sure about the nutri-drench, i may have, but not sure. It may be a challenge about the fluids, any ideas? I have never tubed an animal and don't want to start. :( :?

7. needs to know more

needs to know more Guest

Oct 7, 2007
    sounds like pneumonia. The la200 should help that. Keep her dry and warm. If you just went through all the wonderful rain and wind storms that could have brought it on. From what you discribed I would treat as if pneumonia.

8. jBlaze

jBlaze Guest

Oct 9, 2007
    That is what I was thinking too, but I have never dealt with it before. she is an abundantly healthy doe, kid of the herd queen, and a spunky little obnoxious thing. (we named her Onyx because she is black and onery.) What would cause just her to get sick?
    Her temp is down to 104, and she is still pitiful, When I wnet in and messed with her she livened up a little. She nosed around at the bottle of warm water, took about 3 oz warm milk, and the doe looked like she had nursed also, so I think fluids are ok. She ate some hay while she was up too. I gave her about 1.8 cc of the B complex, she peed, then went back and curled up in her corner. She sounded a little rattly, but not coughing. I will give her some of hte probios stuff this evening. I am curious to see how she responds wiht the B vit.
    Thank you for your help everyone! I will try to update as I can.

9. needs to know more

needs to know more Guest

Oct 7, 2007
    All it takes is a little stress! If you went through those storms. (my little brain says you are on the right side of the state). That would have been just enough stress to get it started.

10. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    glad to hear her temp is coming down. you might try some molasses in warm water to get her to drink it. the tempature is so crazy around here not sure about where you are but we have hot days & cold nights then it will hot at night the next one. plus stress will bring it on. if her temp dosen't come down i would give her the banimine. i have found that once there temp comes down they will eat & drink better.

11. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    give the LA 200 to start working. She has pneumonia IMO and you are doing the right things for her. I wouldn't mess with her to much but giver her lovin's and keep up the fluids as needed.

If needed you can give her another shot of LA 200 tomorrow 1cc to keep it in her system.

Keep an eye on the wether for any change in behavior and treat him if so. YOu don't need him to go down while you are worried about the doeling.

12. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Keep up with the B complex too. When Caesar was sick last week(I thought he wasn't going to make it) I had him on 1 1/2 ccs of thiamin and 4 1/2 ccs of fortified B 2-3 times a day as well as Fastrack(probiotic product) Also, I gave him Milk of Magnesia with olive oil drenched several times a day. He came out of it. Is she chewing her cud? The MOM and olive oil is to prevent acidity in the rumen when the rumen is not functioning. It provides a buffer for the rumen and helps it to get going again.
    Good luck with your little girl.

13. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    how old is the doe? depending on her age rumen function may or may not be an issue - right?

14. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    From the time they start chewing their cud rumen function is always and important issue when they are sick. If htey aren't chewing cud, something could be wrong. You want to prevent acidity in the rumen during sick times which is why you drench them with MOM and olive oil.

15. Chaty

Chaty Guest

Oct 5, 2007
    Also you want to keep up the LA200 shots for at least 5 days or its not going to work. Also she is old enough to be chewing her cud and you might have to steals some from another goat to help her out. When was she last wormed? I would at least worm for tapes with panacur and in 10 days worm for others. The LA200 should help but keep it up for at least 5 days just to make sure its all gone. Koolaid in the water or gateraid will help also for her to keep hydrated. The b-complex vit will help her appetite and wont hurt her at all. Good luck, some will stop the LA200 shots when they start feeling better and the bug will come back more resistant so I make a note of how many days I have given it even if they are better.

16. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    How is she doing today? Please give us a update.

17. jBlaze

jBlaze Guest

Oct 9, 2007
    update

Yes, she is chewing her cud. She is eating some hay and grain, still nursing on mom. Better than she was, but still pitiful. I assume pnemonia too. I am curious about worming her if it is pnemonia, that won't stress her more? So far I have only given her the LA200 Sunday morning, then the B complex Sunday afternoon. She was doing better when I went out to give the B complex in the afternoon. She is still penned inside with dam and twin, they look fine, one or the other cuddle with her and keep her warm. Last night my daughter milked the dam and bottle fed the doe about 16 ounces, I think her fluids are ok. I will give her the LA200 and B vit again this afternoon when I get home and post an update. Tell me more about why I would choose now to worm or CDT. (not arguing, just want to understand so I can figure it out myself someday. :) )
    Thank you.

18. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    CD antitoxin will keep the right bacteria in the rumen and treat for endotoxemia (sp?) just in case that is an issue.

Someone once told me that at any sign of a goat acting off they give 2ccs of CD antitoxin orally to keep the rumen functions going.

As to worming - personally I would hold off - I am going to assume she is less then 2 months old and I prefer not to worm unless necessary a goat that is that young. Worming unecessarily will only add to her stress load.

19. jBlaze

jBlaze Guest

Oct 9, 2007
    Update

She is almost 4 months. sorry, I thought I put that in the first post. I have a CDT that the vet gave me for kids, I do not understand the CDT vs anti-toxin thing, which is which and why. it still confuses me.

I had a 4-H meething last night that I had forgotten about earlier, so sorry I did not get an update out lastnight. Daughter did chores this am and I did not get to talk with her about this morning.
    As of last night kid was doing better still. Temp of 103, I had her up and outside in the sunshine for a while. She was not up to playing, but was moving around, not just laying in the corner any more. I gave her 1.5 cc LA200 (sq) and 1cc B vitamen (sq) and 6cc nutridrench oraly, what a mess.
    What is the typical recovery time form pnemonia, or is there a typecal?
    Thanks everyone for hte helping advice. :)

20. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    antitoxin is a fast acting form of the vaccine. Toxoid takes 14 days to be effective in their system but is longer lasting.

Same idea with the tetnous Antitoxin or toxoid. you use the antitoxin form of a vaccine for immediate action. Or the toxoid for the longer protection.