Sick Doe

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by RunAround, Apr 23, 2008.

1. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    It's my mini ober. She just hasn't been acting right today. Its gotten to around 85 F here so she was panting a bit. I shaved her a little to help her cool off and hosed her down. Neither of which she liked. I didn't shave her all the way because it can still get pretty cool at night here.

Anyways her temp is normal (102) but she was still breathing hard once I got her cooled off a bit. I listened to her lungs and they are clear but her upper airway sounds really junky. She could be bred but I don't think she is. She is just too small and has no udder development. I also haven't felt any kids move and the other doe due the same date as her has lots of baby movement.

So now she is laying in the sun looking very unhappy. She usually lays on the piece of plywood in the paddock but not today. She isn't interested in me at all. She is usually all over me. So I gave her some B-complex and nutri drench. She seemed a bit dehydrated but I did see her take a sip of water... weird. I made some cool molasses water for her. She is usually all over it and stops anyone else from drinking it but she didn't want anything to do with it. She is eating ok. I don't know whats up with her but I can tell something is wrong.

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Re: Doe acting off.

I would try to get her some water with Electrolytes in it. She needs to get rehydrated. As hot as it is there. If you think that is the problem then I would drench her with some water with something other then the Molasses. Gatorade or something. Has she has normal poops?

3. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

I'm a little afraid to drench her since her airway sounds so nasty. I also hate drenching anyways because I am always afraid I will get it in their lungs. I do have some electrolyte stuff for goats that I can mix in the water, but no one ever seems to like it. lol
    I do have lactated ringers from when Xcell was sick. Should I try giving that sq?

Oh and I haven't seen her poo yet today, but that doesn't mean she hasn't.

4. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

So she's gone downhill. Found her in the barn laying under the hay rack when I went down there. She didn't come out with all the other goats so I thought the worst. She has a temp of 104.5 now and is just laying around. I did get her to drink some and she did eat. I am going to go give her some banamine and some Pen.

I separated her from everyone and she doesn't really care. Which is a little weird, but then again since she was a bottle baby she has always been more attached to people.

She still has a nasty sounding airway and she acts like she is going to spit up cud but doesn't. What is going on? Could she be having some nasty allergies as well? Whats the dosage of benedryl(sp) for a goat?

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

I'm pretty sure that Benadryl is dosed according to weight, though I don't think a dose of 3 cc would hurt her. Is there any discharge from her nose? If it's got ANY color to it I would start treating her for an upper respiratory infection , peniccillian or naxel. I hope she starts to come around soon.

6. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I just got back from the barn. Her temp was up to 105. I gave her the banamine and the Pen. Poor girl is just not feeling good. :(

7. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I would give her nutri drench and vet RX as well. I hope she starts feeling better soon!

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    make sure you are dosing the pen according to her weight (guess high if you are unsure, can't od on it)

1cc per 20lbs

I really hope she starts turning around soon.

9. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Oh yeah sry forgot to say I gave vet rx, its hard to get the three drops with her moving all over! I gave her some this afternoon and this evening. Also gave nutridrench earlier when she first started to show signs of being ill.

My vet told me to give her 1cc per 10lbs twice a day. She's 50 lbs so I gave 5 cc. Thankfully my vet gave me some advice over the phone without charging a arm and leg for it. :)

I just got back from the barn because I forgot my epi there. I checked her temp again since I was there and it was down to 103! Looks like the banamine kicked in. :)

Thanks for the advice and good thoughts everyone!

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    ok that sounds like a fine dosage, I was more afraid you might not give her enough.

11. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I am glad to hear her temp is coming down! She should start feeling better soon. Poor girl.

12. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Well she was good this morning. Her temp was 101.7 and she had jumped out of the stall I had her in. :roll: Luckily I anticipated her doing that, if she was better, so I locked all the food and treats away. Her temp went back up around noon and she started acting like she wasn't feeling good again so I gave her another dose of banamine. Her lungs still sound clear and her breathing doesn't sound nasty today.

13. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    thats really strange how things are fluctuating. Hopefully the antibiotics can get it in check

14. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Well she was normal again tonight. I really don't know whats up with her. I hope she just stays normal now. I soooo wish we could talk to them and ask them whats wrong!

I also gave her some probios tonight since she is on the Pen.

15. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    how hot has it been there? does she have a large winter coat?

16. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    80's the other day and 70's today. I did shave her chest and shoulders the other day, so she shouldn't be too hot.

Off topic but I got Angie's papers today! :)

17. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    What I mean by drenching is just giving her some liquid in the mouth with a syringe. Not tube her.
    If you started her on antibiotics please make sure that you keep giving it for 7 days. Most people do 5 but most decent vets will tell you 7 to 10 days.
    Hope she comes out if this.

18. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    sweet! AGS does turn around paperwork so fast. :D

19. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Sweetgoats- I know, but I am a wimp. :oops: I am always afraid I will put too much in their mouth and then they will aspirate. I think I just worry to much. She also splutters and gurgles and throws a big fit when I try to give her anything by mouth that she doesn't want. Talk about a drama queen!

My vet has me giving the Pen for 7 days. But if her temp goes up again tomorrow should I talk to the vet again and see if we should try another antibiotic? I am praying it stays normal!

I saw her drink today and her skin goes back right away when I tent it now.

Stacey - Yeah! I just love how fast I get stuff back from them! :)

20. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    if you place the syringe in the side of their mouth and squirt it into their mouth and not down the throat they will not asperate. I learned this from someone who I can't remember but it works good.