Sick Doe?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by ProctorHillFarm, Oct 16, 2008.

1. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

Our 8 yr old Kingwood Daughter is sick! :GAAH:
    The other day I noticed she was acting off, standing with her head down low. I went over to see what was up, she usually bolts away from you, well she stood there, and I tried to lead her away from the fence to get a better look, well she fell over and could not get up, she tried a few times and kept falling back down......
    NO temp (102.4) eyes are bright and clear, but she is happier laying down with a dull appetite. Gave her Karo syrup and got some fluid into her, she was picking at grass and hay, and a bit of grain and was going to town on her salt/mineral block yesterday. Gave her some banamine.
    Today she is down again with really no desire to get up, when she does get up she seems so weak.

ANY ideas? She is up to date on all her vaccs, wormings, have been getting Vita Charge paste, banamine, karo syrup and fluid into her to try and get some energy.

I cant for the life of me pinpoint what is going on here. Could she be anemic? And from what? Should I worm her again?

:shrug: Help?

2. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    check her eyelids and gums.. if they are pale then she's anemic

other than that i am as puzzled as you

3. ProctorHillFarm

Forgot to note that- they are pale, which is why anemia crossed my mind

I dont think I can get the iron injectable fast enough- what about Red Cell? How much do i get into her and how much, do you know?

But what would cause the anemia? Stubborn case of worms? Do I worm her when she is this "fragile"?

Also forgot to add I gave her a shot of B-1 too, was going to give another one today....

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    She sounds pretty far down.............I know stool samples sometimes takes a while...........but that is probably what may be needed ...........it could be tape worms?......what kind of wormer have you used?.............have you seen any segments...little whiteish flat worms pieces?.Sometimes you see them ............sometimes you do not............

Truly............... In my opinion I would consult a vet..........she doesn't sound good.................
    Your vet can tell you how to treat and what vitamins ect. ...........to give.........:worried:

concerned

5. ProctorHillFarm

I know- I am just really frustrated with my vet...
    I LOVE him for my horses, but we havent had good luck with him with our goats so far.

We lost a doe to pregnancy ketosis a little while back, and he had no clue what to do for her.......and that was one of our Goodwood Does.... :hair:

We have been meaning to look for a "goat vet" but its just something that hasnt happened with everything else going on, on the farm (primary business is Dutch Warmbloods/breeding/training/instruction)

6. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Yeah, I would get a vet out there. Falling down is a very bad sign.

I know the dodge grain up in Salem NH has the iron injectable if you need it.

Can you tell if her rumen is working? Has she been chewing cud at all?

How much how much B-1 did you give her? Is it the fortified b-complex or regular?

Which vet are you using?

Give me a call if you need to. My number is 978-870-3769

7. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I too would get her to the vet ASAP. If you can not do that at all, then get her some red cell NOW and even try some Spinach or Kale. I think that might not work fast enough for you, but it will also help her tummy. I really would get her to the VET.

Good Luck. Please keep us posted.

8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    If you do not like your current vet with goats................. find another vet.............your poor goat is in ......very serious trouble...............please ............call around to other vets in your area............ and ask if the vet is knowledgeable............in goats.... :worried:

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yah call vets in the phone book or look on the internet, then if they dont do goats ask if they know of one who does or of a vet who may know......or a vet who can rush a fecal etc

It never hurts to ask --- thats how i found my "goat vet"

10. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    How is she doing? :pray:

11. ProctorHillFarm

We lost her this afternoon...
    :tears:
    She was showing so much improvement yesterday....... and just crashed today

12. Candy

Candy New Member

I'm so sorry that you lost her :cry: She is now at the Rainbow Bridge and is happy and healthy
    Candy :sun:

13. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I'm sorry you lost her. :hug: :tears:

Next time don't be afraid to call whenever. I'm always happy to help in any way I can.

14. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    I'm so sorry for your loss!

15. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am so sorry for your loss............ :tears:

:cry: .............Please search for a vet that can help your goats......................you never know if something like this happens ...again....next time ...........you can be prepared.......... I am so sorry........... :tears: :tears:

16. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
  17. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    I'm so sorry for your loss. :hug:

18. deenak

deenak New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Ames Iowa
    So sorry that you lost her.

19. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    I'm so sorry for your loss. :grouphug:

20. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I too am very sorry for your loss. I was so worried to check in on this thread. I was afraid that is what I was going to read.