The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok. So I just acquired a doe, unknown age( believed to be older since she has kidded 6 times). She had triplets a week ago and never produced milk, other than a tablespoon of a very thick syrupy goo. We lost two of the kidds within a few hours of getting them home and was touch and go with the third for a while, but is now quite feisty. My concern is with the doe. She has HORRIBLE diarrhea, she's depressed, is quite thin and has thick yellow boogers. Not excessive discharge but it definitely dries and blocks her nostrils. I'm fairly new to goats and haven't had a sick adult yet so don't know where to even start treating her.

My goats have all( excluding one) came from the same place, the babies were all near death, and one had a nasty fracture. And the two does that have came with the babies rejected their babies( so they had no use for them). I know it's a bad idea to be taking these goats in these conditions but otherwise I know they wouldn't survive. Just like with the triplets, she waited too long before calling me and they barely made it home

·
Registered
30,614 Posts
Sounds like you have a very sick mama....
first ..get her temp..101.5 to 103.5 is normal range...
If she has a fever I would start her on tylan 200 which is an otc antibiotic..1 cc per 25# under the skin(sub Q)
no feed until her poop firms up..Good quality hay and alfalfa is good along with green leaves from trees..
Pepto to try to dry her bum and sooth her tummy and
C D Antitoxin to bind toxins..if you dont have C D Antitoxin or cant find it...Milk of magnesia can work as well 15 cc per 60# every 12 hours

I would have a fecal done and include Cocci ..with the weight loss and runs its a high chance she is wormy...IF you can not have one done..I would worm her with Ivomec Plus 1 cc per 40# 3 times 10 days apart then once more in 30 days..
Check her lower inner eye lids for color...against the chart in this link..
http://goat-link.com/content/view/110/107/#.UhFSuWSDQxc
If she scores a 3-5 start her on Red Cell 6 cc per 100#..double day one..then dose once a day for a week the once a week afte that until she has good color.

also keep her hydrated..here is a good home made electrolyte recipe to try
Homemade Electrolytes
A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it.

I hope I didnt just over load you with things to do lol..take it one step at a time :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thank you!!

Ok. So I went out. Gave her like 11cc pepto. 2 cc ivomec by mouth, 2cc cdt vaccine. And 1cc penicillin cuz that's all I have right now. Ill check her eye when I go back down. I have some tetanus anti toxin. Should I give her that?
Where do I get that kind of molasses? I don't think I know how to drench? I've done A LOT a tube feeding ( in my 2.5 months of goat ownership) but no drenching

·
Registered
30,614 Posts
On the electrolytes...you can use what ever you have onhand or honey...the black strap has more nutrients in it but its not easy to find...She may drink it without drenching..just offer her that in a bucket along with a bucket of fresh water in case she prefers it...
Grab Some M.O.M from any grocery/pharmacy or walmart...Its human meds..do get the real deal..not generic...

How much does she weigh?? Ivomec given orally is 1 cc per 25-30 pounds I believe and Penicillinis 1 cc per 20#...so a 100# goat would need 5 cc pen...
Also always pull back the plunger before injecting Pencillin..if you see blood in the syringe..re adjust and try again..no blood means good to go..

·
Registered
30,614 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok. Her eyelid is white. I wormed her earlier today with 2 ccs ivomec orally. She should probably be around/ just over 100lbs but I'm thinking she's around 80. The only part of her that isn't skin and bones is her hanging bloated belly:( poor lady. What is my best course of action. I will get the MOM or cd antitoxin, and some red cell tomorrow. Should I also worn her with a different wormer? Ill continue the pepto 2x a day. She is not running a fever( 101.5) but should I still give her an antibiotic since she's in such bad shape?

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
That is not enough ivomec. Below is a chart from Purdue on how much wormer to give for various types. Ivermectin is safe at up to 10 times the recommended dosage, so don't worry about rounding up what the chart says. I would also get a fecal done so I knew what kind of worms I was dealing with. Most vets can do a fecal the same day, so you will have the results pretty quickly.

http://www3.ag.purdue.edu/counties/putnam/Documents/GoatDewormerChart.pdf

CD antitoxin is usually available at farm supply stores.

Drenching is not difficult. You can use a drenching syringe (has a long feeding tube, usually with a ball at the end, attached to it), a feeding syringe (weak kid syringe type), or a regular syringe without a needle attached. Restrain the goat - I like to put them behind a gate - put one hand under her chin with your little finger on her throat so you can feel her swallow and elevate her head so her muzzle is slightly above level with the ground. Do not raise her chin so it points up any more than that or she can choke and aspirate the wormer. Insert whichever syringe you are using in the corner of her mouth and over top of her tongue, then SLOWLY depress the plunger. She will throw a fit and probably spit and cough - hence the reason for adding a few cc's to make sure she gets the full dosage.

·
Registered
30,614 Posts
If you follow the measure conversion chart you can get a close weight on her...its important to make sure she get enough wormer....I wouldnt over worm which can tax her system...

She will need red cell 6 cc per 100# Double day one dose..then reg. dose daily for a week then once a week until color returns, you can also choose Iron injections instead of red cell
Vit B 12 (rx) is important to help her rebuild red blood cells as well as high protien feed (unless she is runny butt) good hay and alfalfa and green leaves
Anemia take a long time to recover from...here is an article on anemia...
http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/anemiaingoats.html

·
Registered
30,614 Posts
15 cc per 60# is the MOM dose

·
Registered
30,614 Posts
I would assume the runs are from being wormy since she is anemic..Def. Needs Red cell..and Worming..alfalfa and green leaves..Vit B 12 or B complex plus ...
I might choose to give Pepto to help sooth her tummy and dry her bum...
Is she chewing a cud at all? any rumen function, gas or rumbling?? If not then, YES do MOM but if her rumen if functioning good, then hold off on the MOM for now..keep it handy in case she needs it later, we don't want to over load her gut with too much meds....Keep her hydrated..
FOllow instruction for Corid and give fortified B complex for a bit extra B 1
Probiotics is always good to give : )
Best wishes

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
So last night I did go ahead and treat her for pretty much everything.
30ccs pepto
23ccs MOM
12ccs red cell
30ccs corid solution
3.5ccs ivomec subq
A syringe of probiotics

And while her eyelid is still white, she looked WAY better this morning and had solid poop! It was a big clump of pellets still but wasnt the liquid puddle she's been having and she wasn't propped against anything this morning and was sitting in her hay munching away

·
Registered
30,614 Posts
AWESOME!!! Im so happy she is doing better...keep up the good work...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts