The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I acquired a 6 year old Nubian doe about 3 weeks ago. She seemed fairly healthy although she shivered a bit (and has ever since we got her). At first she wouldn't eat or drink much, but eventually she got acclimated with the herd and has had a healthy appetite ever since. I am in northern Michigan and temps haven't been horribly cold, most days in the teens or twenties. I gave her BoSe and Ivermectin on the 28th of November and just gave her the second dose of Ivermectin today.

When I went down to the barn this morning, she had a big clump of nasty brown snot coming out of her nose. Like it was quite a bit. She coughed like 3 times in the span of roughly an hour that I was in the barn. She is also shivering. I let them out in the yard to run around and play, and she seemed just fine playing with the others. She is eating and drinking good as far as I know. I am headed back out to take her temperature and give her some nutri-drench. What else should I do for her? The rest of the goats seem as healthy as ever.

Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
82,212 Posts
Get a fecal for worms and cocci now, to see where she is at.

Did she come from a warmer climate and not use to the colder temps?

If she is eating well, that is good.

Make sure she has good feed and draft free, well bedded shelter at all times. It may take her time to adjust.

If you feel she needs a coat or heat lamp to help her, then do so. Especially if she is from a warmer area and her coat isn't established. Or if she is thin.

Does she have a good winter coat?

What is her temp?
Is she sick or just shivering? Shivering is a natural way for their bodies try to warm up.

How is her inner lower eyelid coloring?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will get a fecal ASAP when our vet is open, probably won't be until Monday. When we got her, she lived outside with basically no shelter. Now she lives in a huge stall with one side open but in one corner there are more boards up in a small area so it is draft free. She has a pretty good winter coat, and I wouldn't say she's thin. I just took her temp and it was 99, but I don't believe it was an accurate reading as the thermometer that I used was a mercury thermometer and I was by myself, I don't think it was in long enough but she probably has a low temperature (and that would make sense with the shivering). I will check her eye color when I go out next. I don't feel like she's acting sick or anything but the snot and coughing concerned me.

·
Super Moderator
82,212 Posts
Her temp is sub temp, get her temp up by putting out a heat lamp or any way you can get her temp up.
A sweater may help too of you have no heat lamp, but I recommend getting one until she can regulate her temp better and rebuild her rumen.

Her rumen may not be at 100 %.
I would give her fortified vit B complex, 6 cc's per 100 lbs SQ and give probiotics for 4 days or longer if she needs it.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Warm (almost hot) water with molasses mixed in should help warm her up. If she doesn't like it try honey. Most goats love molasses though.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I would give her fortified vit B complex, 6 cc's per 100 lbs SQ
Yep, doing that daily should help. If you can get straight injectable thiamine from the vet that will give her a boost as well.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
She had been getting better but yesterday I went down to the barn and her eyes were droopy, she was sort of hunched over coughing, lots of dark brown snot and she didn't look good. I noticed she hasn't been drinking much so I cleaned her water pail and she drank a lot after that. She is eating I think. No diarrhea that I can tell. I have her vitamin b and nutri drench, this morning she just seems worse. Temps are currently in the 40s right now, she isn't shivering anymore. I have pneumonia currently, is there anyway that she could have gotten that from me? I haven't been able to get a fecal yet...things are crazy right now with family issues and I have medical issues on top of pneumonia and a virus that has lastedover 2 months so some days I'm not even able to make it out of bed so family members have been doing the chores some days. I don't know what else to do for her, I'm afraid of losing her

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I gave her 4 doses of vitamin B and probios and she got better so I stopped, that was like 10 days ago

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
*one dose 4 days in a row*

·
Registered
591 Posts
I agree with treating her for pneumonia ASAP. Here is some info on pneumonia. www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/pneumonia06.html
Hypothermia is usually followed by pneumonia and based on your first description it sounds like she got a bad chill (hypothermia) and was never able to re-warm her body.
Get a good antibiotic from your vet (I used Nuflor in the past).
Keep up with the vitamins and molasses water which will help her stay hydrated and help her energy level so she can eat (which will create more energy /heat)
To keep her warm, get old jacket from the Goodwill store (cut off the sleeves and put it on her backwards with the zipper on the spine) OR - take a few coke bottles filled with hot water (as hot as you can hold it on your bare arm for 30 seconds) and put them in her stall so she can curl up against them. They won't stay hot for long, but they will help some.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My vet is closed right now, not open until tomorrow, are there any antibiotics that I can get from TSC or Farm and home? I am in town as I type

Reactions: toth boer goats

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
"If access to prescription antibiotics is not available, then you will have to use over-the-counter penicillin or oxytetracycline 200 mg/ml (LA200 or generic equivalent) Penicillin should be dosed at 5 cc's per 100 pounds body weight for five consecutive days, using a luer-lock syringe with an 18-gauge needle and injecting SQ over the ribs. I dose oxytetracycline 200 mg/ml using five (5) cc per 100 pounds bodyweight given SQ over the ribs with an 18 gauge needle for five consecutive days.

I am believer in using prescription antibiotics to treat pneumonia in goats. Nuflor, Nuflor Gold, and Excenel RTU are far more effective than over-the-counter products and are worth the extra expense. My experience raising goats since 1990 has taught me that single-shot or every-other-day injections of antibiotics are not effective with goats.

If present, chest congestion can be relieved by giving an expectorant-antihistamine-decongestant orally to the sick goat twice daily at a dosage of approximately six cc's per 100 pounds bodyweight.Children's antihistamine/decongestant/expectorant syrups (Robitussin DM) may have to be used since Expectahist is no longer available unless your vet will have a compounding pharmacist make it for you."

Above quote from here: http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/pneumonia06.html

They have penicillin and oxytetracycline at TSC.

I would still get the better antibiotic from the vet. If she has a fever she will also need Banamine from the vet.

Reactions: toth boer goats

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
On my way back from human doctors now.. I will stop at tractor supply and try to get an antibiotic. Not sure about other places but in my area you can now only get penicillin from a vet. Tomorrow I will call my vet and get his antibiotic. He will never tell me what is in it but it works magic for goats on pneumonia, it saved my doe Once a few years ago. I think it's penicillin, vit b, oxytocin and something else.. everyone around me with goats agrees it works miracles but he will never give his secret out. I will see what I can find at TSC, and go.home and give her molasses water nutri drench b vitamin and check her temp and eyelids, I'll let yall know how it goes. Thank you so much for all of your help, I read the links

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My vet is elderly and he's only open 4 days a week for 2 hours a day, he's not on call. Next vet is like an hour away

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I gave her LA 200, Vitamin B, and what I could get down her of nutri drench and I tried a syringe full of water but she wasn't swallowing much. She mainly just has tons of brown goop. Her score on the FAMACHA chart is 3 or a 4. Her temp is 94.6 :( her mouth is cold.. I put a coat on her, she isn't shivering.. what else can I do for her??

1 - 20 of 38 Posts