Sick doeling - 6 months old

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by FrenchFarm, Sep 5, 2008.

1. FrenchFarm

FrenchFarm New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Mid-Michigan
    Phillisa, our little six and a half month old doe seems to be sick. We started noticing two or three days ago that she wasn't very energetic, or interested in eating or interacting with us, but we thought it was because it was so hot out (Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday were almost 90 degrees, which is hotter than we're used to here in Michigan. Thursday and today are 20 degrees cooler, and rainy.) My husband said that early this morning she seemed more like herself, and ate her grain better than she had been, but he saw that her tail end was messy, and then she had diarrhea while he was milking our older goat. Any advice you can offer would be much appreciated, thank you. - Stephanie

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I would get her fecal tested for coccidia.

keep her hydrated --- put some flavored water out there for her to entice her to drink.

Give her some nutri drench if you have it (basically liquid vitamines)

some pepto will help to firm up her stools if it is not cocci you can give her a couple ccs (childs dose)

3. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I moved this one (leaving a shadow of it in the other forum) and deleted the post you made here in this forum.

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I agree with Stacey, please get a fecal to your vet and have a cocci count done, especially since she's had diarhea....and even at 6 months old she can succumb to the dreadful illness, pepto and fluids....all the hay she'll eat and little grain. Hope you can get her all better soon, the longer she goes with the diarhea the greater the chance of dehydration and if it is coccidia....less of a chance that she'll recover quickly. :hug:

5. susanne

susanne New Member

Nov 12, 2007
  6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    very good advice by everyone.I agree................stool sample will say right away, if it is worms or even cocci............... :thumb:

7. rgbdab

rgbdab New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    TEXAS
    I would check her lower eyelid to see if she is anemic, if it is pale she has a worm overload (barber pole) most likely. The next sympton would be bottle jaw or a swelling under her face. If this is the case, she needs to be wormed and then rewormed in about 10 days. Then she needs b-complex and a good source of iron, like red cell or you can use geritol. Raisins are a good souce of iron if she likes them.
    If her eyelids are pink, I would check for coccidia. Keep her cool and hydrated.
    Pepto will help the diarrhea also.
    Good luck, Denise

8. susanne

susanne New Member

Nov 12, 2007
  9. FrenchFarm

FrenchFarm New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Mid-Michigan
    Phillisa's seeming better this evening, but I wanted to ask some more questions:
    How much does a fecal test generally cost?
    Would a vet do one without us having a prior relationship with him/ her?
    Is it necessary to take her to the vet, or just get a sample to them?
    If her bowels are back to normal, is there still an advantage to checking things out?

Maybe I'll search the site for info on choosing a vet. There's not a big goat population in the area, but there are a lot of dairy cattle, so it's not like the doctors are just used to treating small pets. Thanks for all the responses so far.

10. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    You can try asking the dog/cat vet if they know of a farm vet, that's how I found mine. A fecal can be run without the vet seeing the animal...just ask and tell them what you would like to have checked...coccidia count and worm check...mine run around $15.00 here

11. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    the cost will depend on your vet. Mine was 21.00 But well worth knowing!

The vet should do ti without seeing the animal (but dont just ask tell them you want the fecal ran and that is that. if you ask them if they need to see the animal they will say yes ------ of course they want to make the extra 40.00 in examine fee!)

12. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I would still get her tested or just treat her for it. My vet wont just do a fecal for me and I don't trust them when it comes to the fecal.

If she is having runny poo on and off I would still test or treat her for cocci. I had a girl that would get the runs on and off for a while and I decided to treat her because she just wasn't looking right. After about 3 days of treatment she started looking better and her poo's were consistent. She hasn't had a bout of the runs since. (knock on wood.)