The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning all,new to this forum so take it easy on me.
I have a gelded Nubian billy as a companion for my horse, the relationship has worked very well as they are normally inseparable.
Just lately though the goat has been very sluggish,spending a lot of time just lying down and is quite disinterested in any kind of food.He has lost a lot of weight and is becoming very angular when he used to be about the fattest goat in the World..Could this be due to worms ? if so can anyone recommend a wormer. I am ok with horses but goats not so much.Any help appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
32,215 Posts
Start with a check up. Keep in mind by the time a goat shows illness. They are in desperate need of help.
*Temp taken rectally...101.5- 103.5 is normal range.
  • Check his famacha which is his lower inner eyelids. You want to see a deep pink to red. Anything pale indicates anemia and most likely parasite load. I'll post a chart to grade his color. Look up how to do a proper famacha check so it's done correctly. Do it in good sun lite and be quick to decide what score as the longer the membrane is exposed the deeper the color giving a false score.
  • listen for rumen sounds. Gurgle burps and gasses. Feel and watch for movement on the left side.
*watch him pee. You want to see a strong steady stream. Anything choppy or dribbles is sign of trouble
*poop should be clean brown berries.
Give a shot of B conplex..5-6 cc per 100 pounds. Give sub Q.
Give probiotics to help his tummy as we figure out what's going on.
You may need a good antibiotic if his temp is high. A good otc choice would be tylan 200 (not tylan 50)
You may need to deworm him,, grab A good broad base dewormer. Horse paste work..Equamax is a good choice. Or Cydectin sheep drench.
He may need anemia support, grab red cell horse supplement.

Let us know what your check up shows and we can go from there. Work quickly...to me sounds like high load parasites and a fecal can help you know what he's dealing with. Any vet can do this. If you can not get a fecal done..the above mentioned dewormers should help address many of the big guys.
Post a picture of him as he us now and we can let you know if he needs extra minerals or other support

·
Super Moderator
32,215 Posts
Here is that chart

Attachments

Reactions: MadHouse
1 - 7 of 7 Posts