Sick Goat....any added advice?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by cdtrum, Jul 27, 2010.

1. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Ok....I'll try to make this short.....this afternoon went to give my boys fresh water and hay and noticed Murphy was not himself....he did not coming running to me as always....he was standing and staring at the wall and grinding his teeth.....so I tried a few things and noticed his nose and ears were very cool to the touch and it is hot here today......long story short took him into the vet and he treated him for List and Polio with high doses of B's and Pen and also tubed him with mineral oil because he thought he might have a little bloat going on and flet like we needed to cover it all......he was concerned with him standing and staring at the wall......he tested his eyes and feels that he is seeing ok.....he said he really can't say what it is because we caught it in such early stages.....oh, he also gave him an antitoxin injection. I took Murphy's temp before heading to vet and it was low, but I was doing it by myself as hubby was not home and Murphy was fighting me.......vet took his temp and it was 102.5 which was good.
    Anyway, he is nibbling on his hay and being rather quite, which after what he went through no wonder..vet5 said to keep up the Pen and B's for a few days and keep him posted.......just wondering if any one has anything to add, I love my vet....but I always want to hear what other goat people have to say, good or bad.......thanks guys!

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    sounds like you covered everything, hope he's back to normal soon. :)

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Absolutely keep up the Pen and B... now, when I noticed Penny wasn't right, she didn't have a temp either and continued to eat...just had the dancing eyes and staggering, you caught Murphy earlier than I did Penny..keep him eating and drinking and also be sure he gets some probiotics.

How long does the vet have you giving him the Pen? Penny was on it for 7 days, the B Comp was given SQ every 4-6 hours for 24 hours and high doses too..8-10 cc. I had to stick her in different areas because that much at once just wanted to come back out. After the first 24 hours and she wasn't worse I was giving the B Comp orally 2x a day

4. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Hey Liz.....he said for a few days :shrug: ....he has me giving the meds orally and by injecton which I never heard of.....he gave Murphy the biggest syringe of Penn and Thimaine (sp?) by injection and then gave hime both orally. I just pray he gets past this.....I told hubby I try to do everything right and by the book....I was shocked when I found him today.

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Is Murphy better? I've never given Pen orally before but I guess that since goats have a very fast metabolism it would still get into his system PDQ.

If at all Murphy seems to be worse I would definately give the Thiamine by injection and frequently...also, be sure to check his temp again, just to make sure it's staying normal. My vet had told me that as long as a goat is eating they make their own B vitamins, it's when theres a sudden disruption in the rumen that tends to make polio happen. Hope he's doing better at this point.

6. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Don't give Pen G orally. I've read that causes LOTS of issues with the rumen, Stick with SQ or IM on the Pen G.

The B-complex can go orally, but works better SQ or IM. Depending on if you have B-complex with 12.5mg/ml or 100mg/ml your doses will be very different.

Sounds like your doing everything I would for him. :hug: :pray:

7. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Liz....he is acting better....more interested in what is going on around him and is eating hay tonight....he even came outside with the other boys this evening, still not his regular annoying lovable self though.....some friends were over tonight and said he seemed good to them, but he is not their 4-legged child.....a mom knows when their kids aren't feeling well:(

Ashley...thanks for the heads up on giving Penn orally.

8. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Thats good to hear Denise, continue with the meds though...they seemed to have helped him this far and yes, do the injections. He may not like it and I know you won't either but it will be in his best interest in his recovery.

9. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Oh and as Liz already said ProBios! They work wonders for stomach issues.

10. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    How is Murphy this morning Denise?

11. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Seems better but still not 100% himself, very quite which is very unlike him, Murphy is my annoying, in your face boy....of course he is hating us right now, runs every time he sees us coming with a syringe! He is eating and chewing cud, even went outside with the other boys this morning...peeing and pooping normally....waiting for hubby to get back with new themo so I can get his temp.........he did take his probios this morning with no problem......One thing though, he has a bit of a cough....could that be from irritation from the vet tubing him? he had no cough before hand.

12. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Coughing could be from tubing ...he may be irritated there.....keep an eye on that though....sorry Murphy is ill...I pray... he gets better real quickly....I agree with the other mods..... do what they recommended..... :hug: :pray:

13. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    yep, cough is probably from being tubed. My guy coughed for a couple days after being tubed. But he fought it, spit up and pulled the tube out himself. LOL

14. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Vet just called to check in on him and said also that the cough is most likely from the tubing.....Murphy really fought it, vet had to tube him twice......he said Murphys lungs sounded clear and strong yesterday before hand, he said just monitor the cough and call him if any change...so we shall see. I really hope he gets pass this, Murphy is so annoying but oh so loving.....he had rather be with people than goats! We are always telling him he really is a goat....but I don't think he believes us :)

15. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    He's no worse Denise, thats always good, he'll be himself in no time.

16. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Thanks Liz....I needed to hear that! I just came in from the barn, I was literally laying on my stomach up under the bench with him for the past hour just watching and petting him and talking to him.....he doesn't seem in any distress or worse, but just not himself....he is eating his hay, I have not seen him drink.....but I don't always see them drink.....I checked the skin on his eyelids and he doesn't seem dehydrated.....it is also really hot and humid today, so they are all just laying around. Still waiting for hubby to get home with new themo and help with taking temp, as he was on his way home and had a blowout on his dualie!!!!! ARGH! So he just finished at the tire store and is now on his way!

17. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Murphy is finally acting like his old annoying self :greengrin: ! I love that dern goat!

18. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    :leap: Awesome to hear Denise! :hug:

19. maple hill farm tina

maple hill farm tina Senior Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Rich Patch, Virginia
    I'm so glad he's feeling better. :thumb:
    -Tina