The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday my doe Zoe was fine but then today I noticed she didn't look that interested in her grain. Then later watching her realized she was just barely eating. Her milk production this evening went from a quart to a cup. She is holding her tail really strange and like up and arched. And seems to be uncomfortable walking. I was wondering if she could be possibly constipated because I don't know what else it could be....

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
She could be but she could also be coming into heat too.
Watch her water intake, being dehydrated can also cause constipation.

Check her temp, just to be sure that there is no infection causing her behavior... a shot of B Complex won't hurt her and will stimulate her appetite.

·
Registered
30,588 Posts
I agree..

temp first (101.5-103.5 normal range)
listen for rumen function, see if she is chewing a cud.
check eyes for color(lower inner lids)
B complex to help her appetite and energy
C D Antitoxin any time a goat goes off feed...
probios to help her gut

·
Registered
30,588 Posts
any news....Good thoughts sent:grouphug:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well she seems to be doing much better today walking around instead of just standing in one spot. I did see her eating so she must be eating at least some which is good. I took her temperature and it is 104, which is a little high right? But i took it with a human thermometer (that we use just for animals) so I don't know if it is more or less accurate then an animal one....

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh and I did listen for rumen function and i heard some....or at least something so I m guessing that's what it is. And I did see her chewing the cud and I would give her one of the vitamin shot things but I don't have any currently but I might pick some up if everyone thinks it's a good thing to have on hand.

·
Registered
30,588 Posts
104 is a bit high...101.5-103.5 is normal range..human thermometer is what I use too : ) I use a digital since it makes it easy to read...
If you took her temp during the hot part of the day..it could be the sun heating things up a bit. R check to night when things cool off and see if its still elevated...if so I would begin Antibiotics. Tylan 200 is a good OTC choice...1 cc per 25# 2 times a day. Sb Q.
Offer her electrolytes to keep her hydrated and green leaves is great to kick up her appetite..B complex is a good support vitamin...Probios wouldn't hurt either : )

heres a good electo recipe

Homemade Electrolytes

A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts