The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm placing my bet on Urinary Calculi. He's a 2 year old Nubian buck, very sweet, has never used his horns on anyone, etc. He's also very healthy, but yesterday I caught him shaking profoundly, he had quite a bit of diarrhea as well, and I haven't seen him urinate at all.
He's been in his stall for 2 days now because of snow. He's been drinking a lot of water, but I'm worried about giving him more; and he's just nibbling on his hay every so often, grabbing barely a mouthful.
He's got all the typical attributes of someone who is in pain, tail lowered, hunch back, head lowered, with that "sway" neck look. I've given him penicillin, but there isn't any sign of improvement.
So my guess is urinary calculi, but I thought I would post this in case anyone else had other thoughts or possible alternatives to contacting the vet for treatment. Also I haven't changed anything in his diet, and the last time he was with a doe was back in December, he hasn't left the farm either and I haven't brought any outside goats into my farm. But 2 days ago I did give him a handful of corn (I believe cracked corn) to coax him into going outside in the (god forbid) snow.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I don't know what the problem is, but it just doesn't sound like Urinary Calculi to me...

If he has urinary stones, he's probably going to spend a lot of time trying to pee - at least, that's what my whether did. The urinary stones did not cause him to have any diarrhea or anything of that sort. It started as a mild discomfort where he would try and chew on his, well, thing, and then progressed to a more serious discomfort.

I doubt one handful of corn would cause urinary stones. Maybe a handful every day for several months, but not just one time... My whether had been nibbling on a seed and corn mix for maybe 3 months, then the urinary stones popped up 2 months after that.

I would check and see if you can feel a big pouch of liquid under the skin on his belly - when the bladder/urethra bursts from the stones, the urine will puddle there. If his bladder has burst, the urine could be poisoning his blood and causing him to shake... My whether died soon after he developed a shake...

Anyway, whatever it is, I hope your goat feels better soon. :-(

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Light pink and 100, not to sure what to do about a low temp. But he has enough energy to bounce around and run away from a shot so that eases my worries a bit. I also put a foal blanket on him.
Can worm overload happen even if he's dewormed?

·
Registered
807 Posts
Different dewormers are made of different ingredients and are designed to kill different kinds of worms. If he has a kind of worm that is not affected by the dewormer you use, then he could have a worm overload. Another possibility is that the worms have built up a resistance to the dewormer you're using and aren't being killed when the goat is dewormed.

·
Registered
29,941 Posts
Low temp can mean his rumen is shutting down..you need to get him warmed up..give cd antitoxin or milk of magnesia asap. The corn may have upset things. Keep him hydrated and offer him natural browse foods..leaves. .pine..cedar ect....No grain at all.

·
Registered
29,941 Posts
Also b complex and probios as a support...best wishes

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you, I had already given him practically everything on your list. The shaking has stopped, and he's practically buried himself in the hay and foal blanket. I think he'll be okay, but the fact that I haven't seem him urinate still worries me.

·
Registered
29,941 Posts
Keep up the treatment until he back to feeling well. Hopefully he pees soon too

1 - 9 of 9 Posts