The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
www.wildheartsranch.org
2,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my does hasn't been feeling good for a couple weeks now. At first it was off and on, and I thought she was improving, but now she's dropping weight. At first it was just diarrhea, then she started spending most of her time in the shed and just nibbling at food. No temperature or neurological symptoms. Has free access to Sweetlix, kelp, and baking soda. I'm guessing it's a parasite, probably cocci - my friend said they can do permanent damage so I want to start treating in the morning, but would like a second opinion first (vet didn't call me back.)

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
i agree with amy, but go ahead and buy baycox or dimethox for cocci you will need it eventually we all do. use pepto for the diarrhea and keep her hydrated.

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
Absolutely! Treat her for cocci immediately! Adult does can have a cocci "bloom" and it can and will kill her. Please don't wait...I use Baycox, but that must be ordered online, so don't wait. Start treatment with liquid Sulmet. It's a 5 day treatment. 1ml/5lbs day 1, 1ml/10lbs day 2-5. She should respond quickly. After treatment give her a couple of days of b-complex, or thiamine, if she has very light or white mucus membrane, give her some Red Cell for a couple of days. Good luck!

·
Registered
30,636 Posts
I agree.. treating for cocci is not going ot harm her..a fecal would give clear view of worm load...

Check her lower inner eye lids for color...they should be deep pink to red...if they are pale she is anemic...
Get her temp.( 101.5-103.5 is normal range)
is there snotty nose, runny eyes??
I would give her C d antitoxin
Pepto top sooth her tummy and dry her bum
1/2 teaspoon baking soda in enough water to drench
a dose of Probios daily
B complex daily
no feed until you see berries
hay, alfalfa and green leaves only
Electrolytes...

Homemade Electrolytes

A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it. Most of mine love this stuff unlike the electrolytes you buy..

·
www.wildheartsranch.org
2,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have Sulmet, she was dosed in the spring after she kidded. Temp is 102.8, no snot, runny eyes, or vomiting. She has free choice baking soda and does use it. So Sulmet, Pepto, Probios, electrolytes, and B complex, plus check for anemia? I'll see how much of that I can get down her! The closest feed store is mostly dog/cat/horse so they may not have CD antitoxin, but I can go to the vet supply tomorrow. My vet works out of there so hopefully I can grab him for advice.

·
www.wildheartsranch.org
2,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Can someone remind me of the dosing on Sulmet? I remember that it's not labeled for goats.

Also, forgot to mention that she's currently in milk although has slacked off considerably with the change in weather plus getting sick; should I dry her off?

·
Registered
30,636 Posts
sulmet is 1 cc per 5#day one and 1 cc per 10# day 2-5..straight out of the bottle..no diluting..

Drying her up is up to you...if you feel its an extra burden on her system then yes..other wise keep her going, once she is feeling better her milk could increase..

milk with draw for sulfa drugs, such as Albon is usually 5 days,sulmet should be about the same...you can give her milk to chickens, pigs, your garden or use it in soap, freeze and label as withdrawed...for future use of any of these : )

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
When my doe was sick with cocci, she had a kid on her, he was 4 weeks old. I did pull him and gave him a supplemental bottle so I could dry her off. But, she was a cashmere goat, not a dairy goat...so I figured she needed all her energy to save her life. This was early in my goat keeping so she got pretty sick before I made the correct decision about what was wrong with her.

She did respond to treatment really quickly. So, you may be able to keep her in milk. You can give it to the dogs during the treatment period.

·
www.wildheartsranch.org
2,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll dry her up since she's slacking anyway. Gave the Sulmet, Pepto, and B complex. She did drink a little of the homemade electrolytes, although I'm not leaving it out there since the rest will just drink it. I threw hay since it's rainy and nasty out and she was nibbling at it when I left. Will get CD antitoxin tomorrow. Passed on the Redcell since she only looked slightly anemic and they only sell huge buckets.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
I would treat first, but I would also send in a fecal on the chance that it's not cocci, but something else.

·
Registered
30,636 Posts
You can use injectable iron if you dont want to buy a gallon of red Cell. You can also give a mix of 50/50 apple cider vinegar and water..drench 20 cc once a day..this will also help the anemia.

·
www.wildheartsranch.org
2,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
She's already getting ACV in the electrolyte mix. Will pick up injectable at the vet as well.

·
Registered
30,636 Posts
Its ok to give the 50/50 dose of ACV as well..: )

·
www.wildheartsranch.org
2,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Finally made it to the vet. I got injectable iron and B complex (she's not a fan of pills) but they said there's no CD antitoxin available - not just them, but anywhere in the country. Some problem with the manufacturer. Still waiting for the actual vet to call me back.

·
Registered
30,636 Posts
I order cd antitoxin from Jeffers . How's she doing?

·
www.wildheartsranch.org
2,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Seems about the same. Maybe a little more alert, still eating a bit. Not sure if the diarrhea is gone or not because I haven't seen her poop, but her butt is still yucky. Vet finally called and said to give Ivermectin as well as what she's getting, and we can run blood panels if she doesn't improve by next week. He's not worried about CD at this point, said she would be much worse or dead by now if that was the cause.

·
Registered
30,636 Posts
I disagree with the vet ;) She is battling something gut related...CD Antitoxin can at least offer her some protection and faster healing, if you cant get it milk of magnesia will also bind toxins,15 cc per 60#..I would also choose Ivomec Plus over plain Ivomec..cover Liver fluke worm as well...Also be giving her Fortified B complex as a support..and the anemia treatment and probios..

best wishes

·
www.wildheartsranch.org
2,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I can get toxoid but not antitoxin (at least not soon enough to be helpful.) Should I give the MOM in addition to or in place of the Pepto?

·
Registered
30,636 Posts
Toxoid is different...MOM would replace pepto...MOM is a laxitive so it wont dry her bum, but binding the toxins causing the runs will actually help...its weird how it does...My goat al recently broke into the barn and got into the feed...two of my does had the runs real bad..plus were off feed, hay, hardly drank a thing...I was giving the CD antitoxin but one doe was so bad, I really thought I might loose her..Began MOM along with everything else and with in a day she began nibbling hay...then day two her poop was thicker...I believe the MOM actually helped her heal faster then CD Antitoxin alone. I would do the MOM once a day for a few days, see how she is feeling..then switch to scour halt or Pepto..Keeping her Hydrated is most important any time a goat is runny..
Best wishes

1 - 20 of 24 Posts